Nia

He was beautiful. Like one of those Greek god statues.

    He had thick dark hair and deep green eyes. His broad shoulders filled out his blazer perfectly.

    He held a tattered copy of 1984 by George Orwell in his hands. A man that reads—perfection.

    I'm staring at him—he's staring at me—we're staring at each other...maybe. I don't know.

    "Uh, is this Mr. Cooper's class?" I asked awkwardly still standing in the doorway.

    He straightened in his chair, saying, "Yeah—yeah, it is."

    "Oh, okay." 

    I walked into the classroom and sat at the table in front of, shit, I don't know his name. I'm going to name him, Adonis, because he looks like a Greek statue.

    It was so quiet, I could hear my heart thumping in my chest.

Should I talk to him? It would be rude of me not too. We're the only ones in the room.

    I'm not sure what to say?

    I'm sure a simple introduction would suffice, but maybe I should just wait and see if he talks to me first. No, I can talk to him. I can, I can do it.

    Okay, this is it—I'm going to turn around and start a conversation with him.

    Right now.

    Maybe in a minute.

I watched a minute tick by on the clock above the board, maybe not. I didn't even attempt to turn around, I wanted to, but I froze. I'm not sure what's wrong with me, I'm great at talking to people.

    Okay, I got this. I'm going to turn around right now, and I'm going to talk to Adonis, and we're going to be friends and if we make out that's okay too.

    The late bell rang, and students from the hallway started filing into the classroom. I'll just talk to him later, I guess.

    The other students gave me interested glances as they passed by. It would be easier if they just ask me who I am, it might make things less awkward.

    A man I'm assuming is the teacher walked in. He wore grey tartan pants, a white button-down, and a goofy grin. He was young, thirty, maybe even younger. He noticed me and waved me over. 

    I could hear faint whispers, as I approached his desk. Knowing that they were talking about me made the hairs on my arms stand up. I hated being the center of attention.

    "Mr.—Mr. Cooper," I stammered nervously, as I stepped up to his desk.

    "Hi, you must be Nia Owens. Dean Nelson told me that you would be here," he smiled, offering me his hand to shake. Oh, Marge, always one step ahead.

    I shook his outstretched hand. "Is there something I need to get started or..." I've never been the new kid before I feel so lost.

    "Oh, right. You need a lab partner." He looked behind me at the rest of the class. "Marcus, can you come up here, please?"

    "Yes, sir," some guy said from behind me.

    Turning around, I looked to see who he was calling. Oh, God, it's Adonis. He made his way to the front of the classroom. 

    He stood next to me in front of Mr. Cooper's desk. I quickly wiped my sweaty palms on my skirt, just in case he tried to shake my hand. He's much taller than I thought, and bigger too. Gangly and dorky was my usual type, but I could make an exception.