Chapter 31- Nia

They won't stop staring. 

Or whispering. I knew when people found out that Marcus and I were together they would talk. But I didn't think they would start treating me differently as well.

"Hey, Nia, do you have a sparring partner? You can join us if you don't." This brunette girl asked motioning to her friends behind her. I've been here two weeks and she's never made any attempts to talk to me before, as a matter of fact, barely anyone has made attempts to talk to me. Until today.

"Oh, I have a partner, but thanks anyway," I said politely.

I could tell she was disappointed, but she played it off well.  "Okay," she smiled, "Maybe next time."

Not likely.

As long as Lavender's still in the class I doubt I would be anyone else's partner.

"Looks like someone's social stock went up," Lavender said strapping on her boxing gloves. I pulled the fitted pads around my hands, so it wouldn't hurt when she punched them.

"Why is that? I've never talked to those girls a day in my life."

She sighed, "Let me explain this to you. Marcus is one of the most popular boys in the junior class. You are now Marcus' girlfriend, therefore making you one of the most popular girls in the junior class."

"It's that easy?"

She shrugged. "What can I say? High schoolers are superficial."

"But I don't want to be popular." Popular is not something I've ever strived to be, and I was nowhere close when I went to Jefferson. The only time people even attempted to talk to me is when they wanted to use me to get a job at the grocery store that my grandma managed or they were trying to cheat off me in class. I'm not even sure how to be popular. Is there a test or something I have to take? Do I have to be rude to somebody?

Ugh, this is stressful.

"Well, that's too damn bad," Lavender said beginning to punch my hands.

****

"I'm thinking about growing out my bangs." said Lavender as she covered her slice of pizza in parmesan cheese.

"No, I love your bangs," I protested. I loved her icy blonde hair in general.

She hummed taking a bite. After wiping her mouth with her napkin she said, "Maybe, I'll keep them. I don't know I was just looking in the mirror last night and I just had the urge to change my hair."

"Just think about what you're doing before you make any decisions," I told her.

"I will."

"Promise?"

"Promise." Maya said the same thing, and the next thing I knew she came to school and all her hair was gone. A few girls passed by our table, not bothering to hide that they were talking about me.

"That's her," I heard one of them say.

"Really? But she just got here. I guess she's pretty."

Lavender glared at them as they passed. "Why don't they take a fucking picture, it'll last longer?"

"At least she called me pretty," I shrugged. All the attention was making me a little uncomfortable, people had just stopped gawking at me in the hallway  and now it's started all over again.

She laughed. "Right." She looked past me, "Your boyfriend and his friends are here."

I looked behind me to see Marcus, Nick, Sam, and Crystal approaching our table. "I'm so sorry, I can tell them they can't sit here if you want," I said to her.