Chapter 37: Nia

Yesterday was one of the worst days in my entire existence.

    Only shortly followed by today. And at this rate, I can predict the rest of the week is going to be shit too.

    At least if I was at home I could be making my way through it in the comfort of my bed. Honestly, the only reason I'm here is because my grandma forced me.

    "Nia, you have to get up," she said as I laid face down in my pillow. My eyes were puffy and sore from crying on and off all night.

    "But why?" I croaked my voice muffled by the pillows.

    "Because you can't put off your responsibilities because of a boy, if we all did that we would never get anything done," she explained. "And you'll only feel worse if you lay here crying all day."

    "No, I won't." I'll feel worse if I have to go to school and see Marcus and his stupid gorgeous face.

    "Yes, you will. All you're going to do is feel bad for yourself, and fall behind in class, and that's  going to make you feel even worse." I don't think it's possible for me to feel worse than I do right now.

    She gave me a sharp slap on the butt, encouraging me to get ready. "Now get up and get ready for school. I'll make you a smoothie before you go."

    I did what she said, but I wasn't the least bit happy about it. I got into Maya's car with a frown and a fruit smoothie in my hand, that I gave to Tasha because I didn't have any sort of appetite.

    "Just act like he isn't there," Tasha advised slurping from her straw. "If he tries to talk to you, don't respond."

    "She can't do that, Tasha," Maya said.

    "Why not? That's what I do after I've broken up with a guy," she said proudly. "I ghost them completely. Block their numbers, social media accounts, everything... It's helpful."

    "I can't just ignore him," I said. Even if I wanted to, it's hard to ignore a six foot something boy when he's trying to get your attention. But blocking his number sounded awesome right now, he kept texting me but I didn't want to hear anything he had to say. He promised that they were over. And how stupid am I for believing that bullshit?

    "Well, you don't want to talk to him so what are you going to do?"

    I'll tell you what I did I hid in the nurse's office with a "stomach ache."

    It wasn't a flawless plan, but she let me lay on the small cot they kept in her office until third period. And I made sure not to leave until the halls were completely clear, so I wouldn't have any run ins with Marcus. I'm avoiding that disaster for as long as I can. Having to talk to Sam was bad enough.

    "Hey," he said awkwardly next to me in Trig.

    "Hey," I replied not wanting to talk, and especially not to one of Marcus' friends.

    "Uh, I know you probably don't want to talk about what happened but--"

    "If you know then why are you talking to me about it?" I know it was harsh, and it's not his fault but I was still extremely irritated.

    "I--I--I," he stammered trying to find the right words before giving up. "I'm sorry."

    "Thank you," I replied sarcastically before turning back to the board. I felt him still looking at me, but I tried my best to ignore him.

    I went into gym and handed Coach my nurses slip.

    "You don't look sick," he said gruffly.