Chapter 33- Nia

"I hope I look okay," I thought to myself as I sat outside of Marcus's house. I'd decided to be a little bit dressier than I was last time.

I smoothed my dress around my legs before getting out of my grandmother's car. The soft spring breeze hit my legs, and I feared that my dress might be too short.  I had paired it with sneakers so I wouldn't be too overdressed. Oh, well it's too late to turn back now.

Placing my bag over my shoulder, I rang the Garret's door bell. Along with the tinkling sound of the bell, I could also hear running feet.

"Nia!" E.J. yelled flinging the door open. "I missed you!" He threw himself at me wrapping his arms tightly around my legs, throwing me slightly off balance.

"Oh, hi, E.J." I said. "I've missed you too." I patted his back.

"You smell like candy," he said looking up at me. "I like it."

I laughed. "Thank you. Uh, is Marcus here?"

"Oh, yes, Bubby is still in his room," He put his hand in mine, "I'll take you."

"Maybe, we should wait for him to come down here, E.J."

"But that could take a long time," he whined. "He's been up there for hours."

I'm sure he's exaggerating. "Why don't we just call him down here," I suggested.

He sighed, "Okay!" He trudged to a small square box that was embedded into the wall. He waved me over. "Come here, Nia."

I moved over to where he was by the wall. "E.J. what are you doing?"

"I'm calling Bubby," he said, pushing a small white button. "Bubby!"

Marcus's voice came through the speaker. "What is it, E.J?"

They have an intercom in their house. Why am I surprised? They practically have their own amusement park in their backyard.

"Nia's here," E.J. told him. "Nia, say hi!"

"Hi," I said awkwardly.

"Hi," he responded. "I'll be down in a second."

"I'm wearing the present you gave me," E.J. said as we waited. His brown curly hair was held up by my black scrunchie that I had almost forgotten about. "Don't I look handsome?"

"My God, E.J. stop fishing for compliments," Marcus said from the top of the stairs.

He wore a striped shirt and jeans, no shoes, just a pair of socks. His dark hair was still wet from his shower.

E.J.'s brow furrowed. "I'm not fishing for compliments. I don't even know what that means."

Marcus descended the stairs, stopping next to us. He kissed me, "Hi, I'm glad you could come."

"Me too," I replied.

"Hey, what about me?" E.J. called bringing attention back to him. "You didn't tell me if I looked handsome."

I smiled down at his sweet pouting face. I pinched his cute cheeks. "You look very handsome, E.J." This seemed to make him happy. Blushing, he smiled.

Marcus rolled his eyes at him. "What about me, do I look handsome?"

"Yes," I told him. Overwhelmingly so.