Epilogue: Marcus

"E.J, don't do that!"

I protested, but this only made him splash me again. We swam in the pool, while Nia read under one of the large umbrellas poolside. We were babysitting, but if E.J. doesn't stop splashing water in my face I was going to lock him in a closet.

He laughed in my face, before slapping a tidal wave of water at me once again. "Ha ha, I got you!" He stuck his tongue out at me. That's it.

Before he could swim away I grabbed him and began spinning him around. He hates when I do that.

"Stop it!" he screamed, making Nia look up.

"What are you two doing?" she asked us. "Are you behaving?"

"Nia, he's making me dizzy," he complained, pushing out of my arms and flopping back into the water. He swam across the pool and climbed out. Nia already had a towel ready for him.

She wrapped him in it. And like the big baby that he is, he climbed into her lap. Before he could bad mouth me anymore I got out of the pool as well. I grabbed my own towel and began wiping the water from my bare chest. I caught Nia looking at me. Smiling, I winked at her causing her to look away bashfully.

"Bubby, since you were being mean to me you don't get to go get ice cream with us," E.J declared from Nia's lap.

"Excuse me?" Who's babysitting who here? "You splashed me first, if anyone's not getting ice cream it's you."

He huffed turning to Nia. "I didn't mean too."

"Yeah, right, you liar," I said. He glared at me, and I glared right back at him.

"You're both not being very nice," Nia chastised the two of us. She sat up bringing E.J with her but also causing the top of her bathing suit come down which is what I was more focused on. She wore a red one piece that was cut out on the sides showing the soft skin of her sides.

"Apologize."

E.J and I looked at each other silently. His dripping wet hair was pushed back from his face, and his lashes stuck together in clumps.

"I'm waiting," Nia said expectantly.

"Sorry," I grumbled. I shouldn't even be apologizing because none of this is my fault. But I didn't want Nia to get upset with me, she hates it when E.J and I pick at each other.

She'd been coming over alot since school's been out, and the few times I've forgotten to lock my bedroom door he's been a major third wheel. Who am I kidding? Even when I do have the door locked he finds a way to weasel his way in.

"Sorry, Bubby," he apologized. Nia smiled at the two of us. "That's better." She gave E.J a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey, I apologized too."

She laughed. "Okay, come here." I leaned forward, and she gave me a kiss on the cheek. She smelled like coconuts and sunscreen. A kiss on the cheek not being enough for me before she could turn away I gave her a kiss on the lips.

"Gross," E.J. said disgusted. "You're being nasty."

I rolled my eyes at him. "One day you might kiss a girl, E.J."

He shook his head defiantly. "No I won't. Girls have germs."

"Hey, I'm a girl," Nia said.

He hugged her neck. "Not you, Nia you're my girlfriend you don't have germs." That's incorrect, but I guess I'll let him have it.

"What if you find a new girlfriend in your class next year?" I asked. He needs to find one so he can stay away from mine. 

"I won't," he said. "She's going to be my girlfriend forever." She held him close with a small smile. She was putty in his hands.