Chapter 12

Darryl grit his teeth for the millionth time that week as he snapped his phone shut and stuffed it in his khaki loose-fitting pants. He squinted his eyes from the glare of the sun as he stood out in front of the glass, double-doors of the school, waiting for her. There is no way she can avoid me here. he thought to himself confidently. It was a hot Thursday morning, almost eighty―which was pretty unusual in the spring―making him grasp at the V-shaped collar of his white T-shirt to cool himself off as the beads of sweat started to form. She was holding out on him again, and he always knew he couldn't trust her. He hadn't heard from her since Friday afternoon, right before his father called, and it had been nearly a week since he had some. Not only had she not texted him, she did a very good job at being a ninja and he hadn't seen her since. 

He had tried texting her, sometimes even desperate enough to call her, but she never replied or either sent him straight to voicemail. He decided that he had had enough of her games and planned on grilling her down until he got an answer, or at least got her in bed. He glanced down at his watch. It was five minutes to the starting bell and he still hadn't seen any sign of her. He began wondering if he had missed her somehow, either managing to slip right past him or using one of the other school entrances, but he caught himself and knew that there was no way a body like hers could escape his gaze. 

Just like the week before, after their April Fools' prank, he had began to feel the withdrawal, where the eagerness and fantasizing seemed to get worse―or better, depending on the way you looked at it. Since the whole moving-idea his dad had announced had blown over―fortunately his dad couldn't get a lease with the landlord because of his bad credit―he had more then enough time to himself to think about her titillating body bending and moving over his or under. He found himself waking up in the middle of the night, from a raunchy dream starring her, to take a cold shower before he could shut his eyes again. He even had the enjoyment of undressing her with his eyes when she was in close proximity of her―but that was before she went M.I.A.

He could feel the heat in his body course through him, reaching right under his belt and he willed himself to stop. He looked around, seeing that most of the crowd kids who were standing around basking in the sun had started to filter through the doors, trying to make it before their first class began. And he had to make it quick before his class started, too. He planned on making it to every class today, trying to catch up on his work and build his credits. If only think bitch would get here faster! he loathed to himself, until his eyes caught her figure quickly walking towards the school from the curb.

He realized that she was too much in a rush to get to class to notice him stand there, but he took the moment to drink her in. Her dark-haired curls were back, different from the last time he'd seen her with her hair straight, in a tight bun to the side with two precise strands hanging on either side of her rounded face. He preferred her natural curls, it reflected her wild and flustered attitude. He processed more of her, licking his lips as they went dry at the sight of her red-fitting sundress with a floral white embroidering along the breast line of the dress. He could tell that she was running by the way her caramel skin glimmered with sweat under the glare of the sun. 

She had finally looked up in his direction, stopping almost simultaneously. He held her gaze, seeing that her eyes darted from left to right, trying to find another quick way into the school, he assumed. Luckily, everyone was inside already, and he took a confident stride towards her his cold glare never faltering.

                          ―――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――

 Geez, why does the universe seem to hate me so much? Naomi wondered impatiently. It was bad enough that she was running late for Spanish class―due to the fact that her source of an alarm clock, her phone, was confiscated―but the one person she was trying to avoid for the past week was charging right at her. Now she knew for sure she would be late for class and that she would probably miss out on her chances on leaving a better impression to her Spanish teacher. She had tried to plan an escape route but chose against it. Even if she was a fast runner, it was almost inevitable that he would catch her.