Chapter 1 - Murals And Maths

"Cascade Brown, please pay attention. I can see your head lolling towards your desk from over here too, you know." Mr Gregory declared, causing me to shake my head and snap out of my sleepy haze. To be honest, I didn't know why he was just picking on me. Upon closer inspection, the whole class was in some state of sleep or boredom. 

"Er, sorry sir." I muttered, looking down at my textbook. So far this lesson all I had done was write the date and title, and made a few scribbles with my pen, which were illegible. Fabulous. The teacher continued to drone on about mathematical formulas, and before I knew it, the bell rang, signalling lunchtime.

My favourite time.

Shoving my pencil case and textbook into my rucksack, I swung it over my shoulder and galloped out of the room, joining the chatter and rush of the corridor outside. I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around to find Rachael sniggering at me.

"You weren't the only one falling asleep, but you were the only one that was caught." She grinned, as we turned left and began walking through the crowds towards the cafeteria.

"I'm aware of that. Thanks." I retorted in reply, swerving to dodge an oncoming crowd of football players. You did not want to be bashing into those guys, believe me.

"Anyway, are you going to swim practice tonight? If so, sorry but I can't come, I'm...busy." At Rachael's words, I looked over to examine her face.

"Busy? In what way?" I inquired, studying her facial features as we walked.

"Er...nothing much...just homework. Stop questioning me!" Rachael stammered, glaring at me. I gulped and held up my hands. I didn't want to be arguing with Rachael right now. Finally, we reached the cafeteria and joined the long queue for food. 

"So, you wanna go shopping at the weekend? I need some new eyeshadow." Rachael asked, eyeing up the food on display.

And, just like that, we were back. I groaned at Rachael's words.

The rest of the school day lagged on, but finally, after what seemed like hours and hours of boring lessons, the final bell rang. Before my Biology teacher could even say something, I grabbed Rachael's hand and practically sprinted out of the room. Hey, it was Friday. That meant freedom for the weekend!

"Slow down!" Rachael complained, as I pulled her down the corridor at lightning speed, and the classrooms around us began emptying. "Cass! I mean it!"

Reluctantly, I released my grasp from her hand and slowed to a steady walk alongside her, dodging my fellow students as the corridor became packed with teenagers. As we approached the front doors of the school, the crowd ahead of us slowed and eventually came to a halt. After waiting for a minute in the packed corridor, I had had enough.

"Hold on to my bag." I demanded, checking that Rachael had a tight grip on my backpack's strap before launching myself under someone's arm and into the center of the crowd. Slowly, Rach and I began inching our way towards the doors. 

"Sorry. Excuse me!" I mumbled as we shoved our way through the grumpy teenagers. Eventually, we made it to the door, and I realised why people weren't moving. It was literally pouring outside. You couldn't see the other side of the road. The road itself was beginning to flood, as cars drove past, splashing water up onto the sidewalk. Orange leaves were clogging the drains.

"No way. You've got to be kidding me." Rachael gawked, motioning to a handwritten sign next to where the school bus normally was. I followed her finger until my eyes made contact with the board.

'NO BUS AVAILABLE TODAY - WALK OR GET A LIFT'

Oh well.

"Rach, it's not that big of a deal. It's only water." I declared, stepping out from the shelter of the doors of my school and stepping into the open air. As the rain lashed down on me, beginning to soak my hair and clothes, I turned around to find a good majority of my school staring at me in disbelief, like I had just stripped down naked and pranced into the street.

"C'mon, it's not acid rain or anything!" I shouted, receiving weary looks from my fellow students. I stared at Rachael, who looked both petrified and annoyed at the same time. Petrified of what the rain could do to her hair and makeup, and annoyed at me for making a scene.

Heh.

"Well then, have fun making your way home, because I'm off!" I stated, turning and beginning to make my way down the slippery sidewalk, away from the piercing stares of my school. As I began to get further away from the school, I heard a few loud chatters from behind, and turned around to find the student body emptying itself onto the pavement, some people sprinting for cars in the car park, and others beginning to walk home. Through the rain, I squinted and saw a girl holding her bag over her head, racing towards me. I knew she'd come. I stood with my wet hands on my hips and waited for her to catch up.

"I...actually...hate...you...right...now..." Rachael panted, her chest heaving.

"I love you too." I replied, smiling sweetly as we began walking in unison. After a while, Rachael began complaining of aching arms from holding her bag up, and soon enough, her bag was returned to her back, and Rachael's luscious blonde locks were dripping with rain water.

"This isn't that bad. It's kinda refreshing, actually." I remarked, as we began heading into the center of San Francisco.

"I wish I loved water as much as you." Rachael groaned, stopping as we waited for a traffic light to turn red.

"Well, we all wish for things." I replied, watching the cars stop at the crossing before stepping into the road. I wished for Blaze Boy. But, life must go on.

That was my new motto, by the way. I practically live by it now. Life must go on.

Rachael and I hopped onto the opposite sidewalk and began walking up 8th Street, bending our legs for the climb of the hill. To be honest, I was glad San Francisco was full of hills, otherwise I'd probably be a fatso, from the amount of ice cream I eat. Oh, and also minus swim practice. This burnt a lot of calories as well.

"Oh my gosh. That is awesome!" Rachael cried, breaking me out of my train of thoughts. I looked up to where she was looking to find the side of a house with a mural on it. But it wasn't just any mural.

'Blaze Boy, forever in our hearts.' The mural read. It was a mixture of red, orange and yellow for the background, burning flames. But in the center of the brick wall? Someone had amazingly painted Blaze Boy's masked face, complete with the sly smirk he always wore, and the black floppiness of his hair.

I didn't know what to do, or say. I just stopped in the middle of the pavement, gawking up at the incredible piece of art.

"C'mon, it's just a mural. If you like it so much take a photo of it! Get a move on!" Rachael complained, as I snapped into action and rummaged around in my soggy backpack for my phone. My fingers clasped around the cool metal of my iPhone and I pulled it out and tapped the camera app. I took a few photos of the mural before Rachael dug her nails into my arm and began dragging me away, up the hill. I kept staring at the mural until it was out of sight, and then Rachael released me from her grip.

"So, why are you so obsessed with Blaze Boy anyway? Got a crush or something?" She inquired, examining my wet face as I shoved my phone back in my bag.

Oh, if only she knew.