Chapter 15 - Undercover

The following evening, I found myself bundled in a blanket burrito on my bed, sulking because I was going to be missing multiple swim meets in the period when my eyesight would be recovering.

"Cass, do you want any food? It's nearly 8, and you haven't had dinner yet." Mom called from behind my door. I suddenly sat upright, wriggling my way out of the blanket burrito. Nearly 8. That meant I'd be whisked away to APPSSA soon. I needed a cover.

"No, it's okay Mom! I think I'm going to sleep now...I'm pretty darn tired!" I replied, sliding off my bed and grabbing my white stick.

Yup, I needed a goddamn stick to find my way around.

Stupid eyesight loss.

At least the Doctor told me there were cyan blue stripes on the handle. But how could I tell he wasn't lying?

"Okay, sweetheart!" I heard the faint patter of feet on the floorboards outside as my mother walked away, probably to go watch Grey's Anatomy or something. I stumbled across my room, almost falling over a pile of clothes, and found my way towards the window. I dropped the stupid stick on the floor and fumbled around until I had unlocked the window. Almost immediately, it was pushed open from the outside.

"We meet again, darlin'."

"For the last time, stop calling me that!" I groaned, as Ace hopped down into my room, landing beside me.

"Aw, do you not like it, then?" He purred, most likely smirking. I kicked my leg out and grinned as it hit his leg.

"Shut the hell up, and let's go." I muttered, before feeling a strong pair of arms pick me up bridal style. I felt Ace's minty breath on my face along with the cool air of San Francisco at night as he lifted me out of the window.

"This must be a good workout for you, heh?" I asked, grinning to myself as Ace jumped, landing on another surface with a thud.

"You...could...say...that..." Ace murmured in reply, between breaths. I had to hand it to him, this was probably very hard. Sneaking a girl out of her bedroom at night, trying not to disturb the neighbours nor die, as we were descending a building. All of a sudden, my sunglasses were whisked off my face and were replaced by goggles. The whooshing sound, telling me Ace was on the run, filled my ears, before dying down again.

"Ah, Quicksilver and Aqua Girl. Please, enter the car." I heard an English man's voice say, reminding me of Daniel Craig in the James Bond movies. Ace put me down on the ground, and swapped the goggles back for my sunglasses.

"After you, darlin'." I heard Ace whisper in my ear. If it wasn't for the unknown man standing there, waiting for us to enter the vehicle, I would've turned around and knocked Ace out right then and there. But I composed my anger and gingerly stepped forward, as Ace guided me into the vehicle. I found myself sat on what seemed to be a leather seat, and fumbled around with my seatbelt as Ace slid in next to me.

"Ace, move over." I demanded, feeling his side pressed against mine.

"And what if I don't?" He retorted in reply, as I crossed my arms.

"Then write your will, and choose a gravestone." I declared, as he reluctantly slid away from me to the opposite side of the car.

Haha, loser.

"Welcome to APPSSA, kids. We'll get started on briefing you right away, if you'd like to follow me." A man that had introduced himself as Jones said, as I sighed deeply. What the hell was I doing? I was in the middle of the nowhere, being carried by a boy that annoys the living daylights out of me, with my best friend, in the midst of a huge government operation.