Chapter 10 - Raidan

"It was just a kiss...stop worrying yourself..." I muttered under my breath, slipping under my duvet and reaching over to turn my bedside lamp off. Rufus sniffed a little from the bottom of my bed as I got comfy in bed, my mind still whirring at the speed of light, in a state of panic and...adrenaline? I wasn't sure.

Before I could continue arguing with myself, I fell into a deep sleep, my worries slowly drifting into nothing.

"Cascade Brown! I'm in need of an explanation, young lady!"

Huh? This was an odd dream...was that my mother...shouting?

"Get your lazy ass out of bed!"

Oh, shoot. 

This was no dream. This was reality.

And I was in deep, deep trouble.

"Mother! How lovely to see you on this sunny.." I exclaiming, opening my eyes and trying my best to cover the fact I was in trouble. I glanced over at my window, noting the rain. "I mean, rainy morning!"

"Cascade, do not try and sugar-coat this situation. You were out until the early hours of this morning, and when I phoned you, you told me this wasn't the time!" My mother screeched, looking undoubtedly very very angry. I noticed Rufus had escaped the room. A great side-kick. Thanks, Rufus.

"Uhh...I have no idea what you're talking about!"

Oops. I probably shouldn't have played the 'I don't know' card.

"Cascade Brown, I'm not leaving your room until you tell me what you were doing last night!" Mom yelled in response, before sitting down on the edge of my bed with a stern facial expression. I sat up in bed, racking my brain for ideas of a cover-up.

Well, I couldn't just blurt out that I was secretly a superhero, saving the city, and that I nearly got murdered, could I?

Then I remembered, Rach would most likely be facing the same motherly interrogation.

Bingo.

"Well...I didn't want to tell you this but, Rach called me...last night..and she..um..wanted to go for a late night walk with me..." I explained slowly, trying to cover up my excuse with care. 

"So why did you reject me when I phoned you last night?" Mom interrupted, staring at me so intensely I could've sworn I was melting under her laser-beam gaze.

"W-Well...you see...we were...on a mission..?" I questioned myself as I spoke, instantly regretting what I had said.

"Mission?! What on earth are you talking about, Cascade?" 

Shoot.

"Uh...well...actually...it's secret...well, it's not really a mission..." Then an imaginary lightbulb pinged above my head. "It's something to do with your Christmas present, so I can't tell you anymore, ok?"

Mom still didn't look satisfied with my response, but she stood up, meaning I was slightly off the hook.

"I'm calling Rachael's mom. Stay in here, young lady." She declared, before walking out of the room. The second the door clicked shut, I scrambled off my bed and raced to my phone, which was buried under a pile of clothes on the floor. I unlocked it and texted Rachael in a rush.

7:11AM from Cass:

RACH EMERGENCY YOU NEED TO TELL UR MOM THAT WE WERE ON A XMAS PRESENT MISSION LAST NIGHT OK

Immediately, I received a response.

7:11AM from Rach:

yh ok, I'll tell her that

7:12AM from Cass:

You going to school? I'll see ya in History?

7:12AM from Rach:

ofc I'm going to school, I've got classes with Aidan today ;)

Ew.

Yep, Rachael had taken a liking to Aidan, which pleased me because he still reminded me of Blaze Boy so damn much that it hurt. I hadn't spoken more than a few words to him since I returned to school after that fateful day. But I had noticed Rachael was generally happier whenever she was with Aidan. If he walked past us in the hallway, her face would light up drastically and she would tune out my rambling about the potential plot of Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Rude.

I dropped my phone and quickly changed into my outfit for another day at hell, deciding on a simple black and yellow Star Wars t-shirt, black hoodie, and ripped jeans. Just as I was tying my laces, Mom reentered the room.

"Rachael's mother confirmed you were out doing Christmas shopping.." She explained, looking mildly annoyed that she couldn't argue with me about my late-night adventures. "But in the future you need to tell me you're going out, rather than sneaking out the window like some vigilante."

Oh, the irony.

"Of course, Mom." I replied, grinning at her smugly. "Oh, I'm gonna be late for the bus. See ya!" In one swift move, I grabbed my backpack and phone, dodged my aggravated mother and dashed towards the front door. I waved at her before unlocking the door and escaping.

"I still can't believe we pulled that off, Cass." Rachael murmured, smirking as she opened Instagram on her phone and began scrolling through her feed.

"What can I say? We're masterminds." I replied, grinning and watching as she quickly skimmed through the photos. The school bus jolted forwards in traffic, and I clutched onto the seat in front of me to stop myself lurching to another injury. Somehow, Rachael remained unmoved in her seat, staring at her phone screen. I leaned back and watched over her shoulder as a familiar username came up on her screen.

"Stalking Aidan are we?" I mocked, grinning at her. Rachael glared at me.

"Shut the hell up!" She replied, turning her phone away from me to try and stop the taunts. That wasn't going to work.

"How cute! You know, I even came up with a ship name...Raidan!" I exclaimed. Believe me, I knew how to wind up my best friend. Rachael swung her arm forward, playfully punching my arm. 

"Cass, stop!" She cried, trying her best to look annoyed but failing. I could see the playful and happy glint in her eye, meaning she probably liked the ship name.

"Never!" I declared as the bus pulled to the stop outside our school. I stood up and grabbed my bag, still grinning. "Now I'll go find Aidan and tell him his ship is sailing!"

I felt a strong arm grab the back of my backpack, pulling me back down onto the seat.

"Don't you dare!" Rachael hissed in my ear, as fellow students walked off the bus, giving us weird looks. I received many of those daily, and was therefore used to them. 

I couldn't wait to leave school, become famous, and make 'em all jealous.

Anyway.

"Fine, fine, fine." I grumbled, as Rachael released me from her grip and I was able to saunter off the bus. I nodded at the elderly driver before stepping onto the wet concrete and waiting for Rachael to follow me. That's when I noticed Aidan stood a few meters away, leaning against his car.

Talking to Ace.

"For God's sake..." I muttered, as Rachael joined me and followed my gaze to the two boys. 

"What is Ace doing here? Since when did he talk to Aidan?" She asked, clearly as confused as I was.

"I don't know, but I sure am about to find out."

A/N: huge apologies for the late chapter, it's xmas break and family time and yadadadaaaa... hopefully I'll be updating sometime next week, and have a great christmas everyone!!

P.S: we're gonna get some kickass action soon, so buckle up :)