Chapter 8 - Not The Best Time

I rushed out of Velma's house and immediately took off, not looking back to see Rachael or Ace dashing out behind me. I was soon approaching my apartment block and decided to land on the roof and climb down. I landed with a thump and ran over to my side of the building, lowering myself onto the drainpipe and shuffling down to my windowsill. I heaved my window up and rolled inside, landing on a pile of dirty clothes. I quickly crawled under my bed, grabbing my suit and converse, before quickly changing. I fastened my mask and tied my laces before leaping out of my window again, slamming it shut behind me. My pulse was racing as I took off again, heading towards the SFPD station. I had no idea how long I had taken but I knew for a fact that was the fastest time ever I had got my suit on. I quickly zoomed over the city and landed outside the station, to be met with Rachael's smirk.

"I won." She declared, leaning against the grey wall outside the station. I shrugged. 

"Well, I had to get changed. At least I didn't come last." I replied, getting ready to mock Quicksilver.

"Actually, you did. I've been inside talking to the officers." Ace muttered from behind me. I whizzed around to find him standing on the steps of the station, grinning.

"Seriously?! Wow." I muttered, beginning to walk up the steps. Rachael followed me and Ace as we pushed the doors open. We were met with a modern reception, with a few officers behind the desk and one waiting for us.

"Ah! Aqua Girl! It's a pleasure having you here." The officer drawled, holding his hand out. I shook it and look up to him, noting that he really needed to trim his moustache. "My name's Officer Parker, and I'm hoping that you supers will be able to help with the interrogation of the man we arrested earlier."

"Of course." I replied, smiling sweetly as Rachael looked over her shoulder at a police officer bringing a criminal in. Ace and I stood to the side to let the handcuffed man saunter in with the officer. As the officer began talking to the people on the front desk, the criminal turned around and scowled at me. Directly in the eye. Eek. He was wearing baggy, dirty trousers and a t-shirt with holes in. Not the kinda guy I'd want to be passing in the street late at night after swim practice.

"You're that kid in the news. The one fighting with Blaze Boy, aren't ya?" He asked, narrowing his groggy eyes at me. I gulped and nodded, as the officers glared at the criminal, warning him silently.

"You're a disgrace. Should've been helping the boy instead of dilly-dallying!" The man boomed, causing pain to seize up inside me. Ace stepped in front of me, shooting daggers at the man through his eyes.

"Hey, it's not her fault you idiot! It's ElectroNite's. We were all fighting against him, and don't you dare blame her for any of it!" He snapped, as Rachael stood by, unaware of what was going on. The officers grabbed hold of the man as he struggled to get nearer to Ace.

"Stay right there, sir! Do not move!" One shouted, forcefully slamming the criminal's body onto the desk to restrain him. Officer Parker ushered for us to follow him out of the reception, and into the maze of corridors.

"Just ignore that dude, he's probably either drunk or high anyway." Ace murmured to me as we followed the officer down the hallway. Rachael nodded on the other side of me.

"Yeah, you're so brave for putting your own life on the line like that, Cass, er, I mean Aqua Girl..." she stammered, forgetting that once my mask was on my face, I was no longer Cass. I sighed a little and nodded reassuringly as Officer Parker stopped outside a door labelled 'Interview Room 2'. Nervously, I let Ace go inside first, and Rachael followed me. It was a plain, white room with a large table in the centre surrounding by multiple chairs. Two of the chairs were occupied by an officer and the man that tried to shoot us earlier. I took a seat next to Rachael and Ace anxiously. 

"I'll get the tape rolling and we'll get started." Officer Parker explained, fiddling with the tape recorder. He finally managed to get it working and set it on the table before pressing play.

"It is currently 8:30 on the 23rd of October 2017. Interview number 4932. Jacob Bradley." Officer Parker muttered, referencing it for the tape. He then cleared his throat and stared at the man, Jacob, in the eye. "So then, Mr Bradley. Let's get down to business."

"Sometimes you've gotta bleed to know, that you're alive and have a soul!"

Shoot.

All eyes in the room swivelled round to me as Tyler Joseph continued singing in 'Tear In My Heart', the current ringtone on my phone.

"But it takes someone to come around, to show you how...." He sang as I scrambled with the brand-new secret pocket in my suit, frantically grabbing my phone. I looked at the screen, displaying a photo of Mom on holiday a few years ago and the words 'WARNING: Mom!!' coming up as her contact. I quickly tapped to screen to answer it and held it up to my ear, wincing as I was met with an onslaught from the other end.

"Cascade Brown! Where the devil are you?!" My mother screamed from the other end. I held the phone a little away from my ear as so to not damage my eardrums.

"Er...Mom, this is not the best time..." I murmured, as Officer Parker glared at me from the other side of the table. I guessed that was the wrong thing to say from my mother's response.

"NOT THE BEST TIME?!" She roared, as I pulled a face at Rachael that read 'help me'. "What the actual hell do you mean by that?! I am your mother, I deserve to know where you are, who you're with and why you aren't at home in your bedroom right now, young lady!"

"Aqua Girl...we need to continue." Officer Parker reminded me, tapping his watch.

"Look...Mom, I'll be home soon, ok? I've gotta go!" I said, holding the phone away from me and hearing the last few angry words from my mother as I ended the call. Officer Parker stared at me for a few more seconds before clearing his throat again.

"Well then, let's finally begin."

A/N: aaaahhh an update, whaaaat? haha in all seriousness sorry for the long wait, i've got exams next week and stressing about them is taking up all my time heh heh heh....how're you doing? and what are your assumptions about jacob bradley? :)