three | arguments

LYRA KEPT TO HERSELF FOR the most part, during the last few weeks before school was due to start. She would join the others for meals, then retreat to her bedroom to be alone and away from the scrutinizing gazes of her classmates. The only one that would openly speak to her was Ginny Weasley, who decided that if her mother trusted Lyra, then why couldn't she?

The brunette had never had a girl as a friend before. Cedric had been her only friend ever. So it went without saying that Lyra wasn't really accustomed with gossip or boy talk or fashion advice; three things Ginny loved to talk about. However, Lyra found that it didn't take much to participate much in these conversations. Really, the younger girl was simply looking for someone who would listen, and Lyra had no problem being that person for her. Plus, she appreciated the company. It made her feel less alone, less like an outcast.

But still, the fact remained that Lyra was a solitary soul. So even though Ginny had invited her to sit in a compartment with her other friends on the train to Hogwarts, Lyra thanked her but refused. She knew the friends Ginny was talking about were Luna Lovegood and Neville Longbottom. Luna never really bothered her, but Neville didn't care for the girl at all – like everyone else, of course, since she was a Slytherin and a Burke. Instead of joining them for a potentially awkward ride, Lyra found an empty compartment and read one of her books during the train ride.

Everything was going fine, as it normally did; at least, until Lyra exited the bathrooms in the back of the train after getting dressed into her robes. Draco Malfoy appeared, grabbed her arm and shoved her against the wall, his sharp eyes glaring at her. "Where the bloody hell have you been?" He hissed.

Her jaw clenched. "Let go of me," she demanded as the conductor announced they had arrived, and students could exit the train.

"Do you know how angry your mother is?" Draco asked, ignoring her as he kept his voice quiet. "She's got other Death Eaters searching everywhere for you! And my father says the Dark Lord is less than pleased, as well."

"You don't even know me, Malfoy. Mind your own business!"

"When they find you, you're going to be killed, Burke. You know that, right?" He said to her. Lyra pushed him off of her and began to walk away. Draco grabbed her arm again, yanking her around to face him. "You're being a fool."

"Let go of me!"

"Hey!" The two of them both looked over at the sudden voice, seeing none other than Harry Potter walk down the now-vacant aisle toward them with a glare on his face. "Is there a problem here?"

Draco scoffed, releasing Lyra's arm. "No, Potter. Not that it's any of your concern." He shouldered Harry on his way past him, exiting the train without another word.

Lyra rubbed her arm, a faraway look on her face as she thought about what Draco had said. He was right, of course. She knew he was. It was only a matter of time before they found her, and Voldemort would either force her to join him because of the strange powers she had, or they would kill her for the same reasons due to her refusal. "Are you okay?"

Her blue eyes snapped over to see Harry Potter still standing there, looking at her. "I'm fine," she lied, not meeting his gaze. "Um... thanks."

Harry began to say something, but she had already turned and hurried off of the train. He was left to his thoughts as he exited the train as well, not in half as much a hurry as she had been.

In truth, he was both suspicious and intrigued by Lyra Burke at the same time. Suspicious, because of who she was – a Slytherin, a daughter of one of the most feared Death Eaters there were; and intrigued, because of what she'd done – defying her mother's order and Voldemort's request for her to follow him, running away from home, knowing that if they were to find her it would mean nothing good in the end... yet, she did it anyway.