twelve | atlas

IT WAS TOO BRIGHT. That was the first thought that surfaced in Lyra Burke's groggy mind as she began to wake up, the brightness behind her eyelids pulling her from her dreamless seep. A groan escaped her lips as she opened her eyes,trying to sit up at the same time. "No, Lyra, lay still." Hands pressed gently against her shoulders, coaxing her to lay back down in the bed she'd woken in. Her blue eyes blinked away the brightness of the room, and she was surprised to see Hermione sitting on the edge of the bed. "You're still weak, you need to rest."

"What..." Lyra paused, swallowing thickly and trying to clear her dry throat.

"Oh – here." Hermione reached over and grabbed a cup of water, giving it to her. Lyra nodded a silent thanks before drinking it.

"What happened?" The Slytherin girl asked once her throat didn't feel as thick and parched.

Hermione's eyes widened. "You don't remember?"

"I remember... Sirius was ki –" she cut herself off, unable to finish the word. Instead she shook her head, as if to shake off the thought, and continued. "Harry and I chased Bellatrix, and Voldemort was there. I remember all of that –getting crucioed by him, the duel between him and Dumbledore, the way he'd tried to manipulate Harry's mind..." The brown-eyed girl listened silently. None of this was news to her; Harry had recounted the events to all of them. She simply let Lyra talk for a bit, just to ensure she was really okay and did remember it all. "But Harry, he pushed him out of his mind – and Voldemort was angry. He tried to hex Harry, or something, but I cast a shield charm. And then he turned on me again..." Lyra shook her head again. "I don't really remember anything after that, except for the pain."

"Voldemort cast the Baubillious spell against you," Hermione explained. "It, um... well, it did quite the damage. There was a lot of blood – it scared the hell out of all of us, seeing you like that..." She cleared her throat." Lupin picked you up, and he brought you here while Dumbledore dealt with the Minister. He said they couldn't bring you to St. Mungo's because you're still underage, and you wouldn't have been safe if your parents caught wind of you there."

Lyra nodded slowly, taking all of this in. "How long have I been out?"

"Nearly three days now," the girl answered. "Madam Pomfrey had a hard time of healing you – I guess the hex was so strong it tried to resist her healing spells and potions, but she didn't give me much detail about that. She just told us that it took a lot out of you as well, and that's why you didn't wake up right away."

"Us?"

Hermione flashed her a gentle smile."You didn't think I'd be the only one to check on you, did you?"

"No. Maybe Ginny..." She shrugged lightly. "But Harry and I weren't exactly on the best terms, Ron isn't my biggest fan – and I don't really know Neville or Luna that well."

There was a certain type of silence that followed her statement that Lyra could decide whether it felt awkward, or uncomfortable, or what. She released a deep breath,looking up at the high arched ceilings of the medical ward as Hermione sat there without making a sound.

"All these years..." the Gryffindor girl began quietly. "You must have felt so alone."

Lyra's gaze shifted over to her,surprised at the solemn expression on her face. "Being alone isn't all that bad," she said simply. "In fact, I grew up preferring being alone as to... well, you know."

Hermione nodded, reaching over and resting her hand over Lyra's. "Well – I just want you to know,Lyra, that you won't be on your own anymore. You have friends now,okay? Me, Ginny, Harry... even Ron, and Neville, and Luna, and the twins..."