nine | visions and curses

THE GREAT HALL WAS SILENT as each fifth year student suffered through their OWL examinations. Lyra sat in the back of the room, her chin cupped in her hand as she begrudgingly scrawled her quill across the parchment. She was trying to do her best, but it was hard to focus very well with the smug old hag standing at the head of the room with her usual hideous pink getup on. She didn't hate many people, truth be told -- but Dolores Umbridge easily made the very top of her short list, right alongside Voldemort.

(Or maybe even above him, honestly.)

An unexpected, loud bang caused all of the students to look up from their exams. Lyra turned and looked at the doors behind her, wondering what was going on. There were a few more bangs, each growing louder; and finally Umbridge skittered down the aisle and stepped outside the doors to see what was going on.

Lyra watched curiously as a strange shimmering orb hovered in Umbridge's face, then moved over her shoulder and soared into the Great Hall. It combusted into three more orbs, this time a blue color, and they each erupted into fireworks. A few students snickered, but quickly stifled their laughter when Umbridge glared over her shoulder.

All of a sudden, Fred and George Weasley flew over the pompous woman and into the Great Hall, shouting loudly as they flicked their wands. Everyone's exams flew to the sky as they conjured some more fireworks, large childish grins on their faces the entire time. All of the students stood from their seats, enjoying the show as Umbridge and Filch -- for once -- seemed at a loss for words. 

Fred threw one last firework up into the air, and this one turned into a large dragon that chased a shrieking Umbridge out of the Great Hall. Lyra was close enough to the doors that she could hear the shattering sound of each frame covering Umbridge's proclamations as they broke. She stepped closer to the door, her eyes widening as each frame fell to the ground after each proclamation went up in frames. Umbridge screamed as Fred and George flew over her head again, and all of the students -- Lyra included -- ran out into the courtyard to see what else they were up to.

More fireworks had been sent off, each of them combining to form a large W in the sky. They were broadcasting for the joke shop the twins had talked about opening for the past two years now; even Lyra had heard about it. In fact, at the detention she'd served with them and the first year named Michael last week, they had talked about it to her personally. Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes, they were going to call it. Lyra had told them it would be a big hit.

Movement in the corner of her eye stole her attention from all of the cheering and the fireworks shimmering in the sky. Lyra's eyes widened when she saw Harry's face had paled significantly, and he fell to the ground. "Hermione!" She yelled to the bushy-haired girl standing a few feet away as she ran to Harry. Lyra's anger at the boy was momentarily forgotten as she placed her hands on his shoulders. "Harry, what's wrong? Harry?" He did not respond. His eyes were looking at her, but seeming something else entirely. Lyra placed either hand on his face this time, her gaze frantic; she didn't know what was happening. "Harry!"

Hermione and Ron knelt down on either side of her. "Harry?"

After what felt like forever, the boy finally choked out a response. "Sirius."

Ron leaned forward and helped him up. Lyra stepped away as the trio turned to leave, but Harry grasped her hand and yanked her along with them. Once he was sure she would come, he let her hand go as they ran. "Sirius is in trouble," he explained to the three of them. "Voldemort has him."

"Harry, are you sure?" Hermione asked.

"I saw it! It's just like with Mr. Weasley. It's the door I've been dreaming out -- I couldn't remember where I'd seen it before." His words were rushed and urgent as he spoke breathlessly. The four of them ran up the stairs as fast as they could. "Sirius said Voldemort was after something; something he didn't have before. And it's in the Department of Mysteries!"