Chapter 13

Another little fun fact about me, I may have a tiny problem with blaming people for stuff that may or may not be my fault.

"Ugh, this is all your fault!" I hissed at Archer as we trudged our way through what I could only describe as green sludge. My jeans were soaked with the stuff from my calves down, my side felt like it had been used as a punching bag for the Hulk, and I'm not even going to mention the smell down here.

Archer spun on his heel sending a few droplets of the sludge flying. A look of disbelief and shock was plastered on his face as he stared at me with wide eyes.

"Are you serious right now?! How the hell is any of this my fault? You're the one who decided to go all Velma Dinkley and wanted to investigate. Remember," Archer raised his voice a few octaves trying to mimic my voice again. "I'm going Archer so don't try to stop me."

I folded my arms and glared at him in the dim light that was being cast by old flickering light bulbs on the tunnel walls.

"First of all, if I was anybody from Scooby Doo it'd definitely be Shaggy not Velma and second, it was your job to convince me to stay." I took a few steps forward until I was standing in front of him. I reached up and knocked on his forehead with my fist before he swatted my hand away.

"If there was a brain up there you would've found a way to keep me from going... so yes this is your fault." I stated simply.

Yes, I know my logic was horrible. I told you I had a problem.

Archer's jaw dropped for a few seconds before he simply shook his head. "You're impossible." he grumbled.

I tilted my head to the side all of sudden and stared at Archer with a frown on my face.

"What?" he asked glancing over his shoulder like he expected someone to be standing behind him.

It was like a light bulb had just appeared over my head and I snapped my fingers. "I got it!"

Archer turned his head back to face me and it was his turn to frown. "Got what"?

"Who you'd be from Scooby Doo. You're definitely Scrappy."

Archer stared at me with a blank expression for a few moments before he placed both of his hands on my shoulders.

"Gemma, there's no easy way to say this," Archer's voice took on a serious tone. "But you're an idiot."

I narrowed my eyes at him before I slapped his hands. "Whatever. Let's just keep moving."

Archer shook his head at me before we continued down the tunnel. When the tunnel finally ended it opened out into a large cavernous room. It was made of the same gray stone as the rest of the tunnels down here and jagged pieces of rock and pipe jutted up from the floor and hung from the ceiling. There were a few pale yellow flickering lanterns that cast an eerie glow across the large room, which meant someone had been down here recently.

I took a few steps into the room and spun in a circle, looking around. It was empty.

There was no other way in or out of the room besides the way we came.

"There's nobody here Gemma, we should head back and try and find our way out of here while we still can." Archer's voice rang out in an echo around the vast room.

I wanted to argue that we should stay and keep looking but there was no where else to look in here.

I sighed heavily before turning back to face Archer and was about to agree to leave when the same shrill scream from earlier rang out from behind me.

I let out a startled yelp and spun around, frantically searching the room. Archer was by my side in an instant.

"Who the hell-" Archer started before he was cut off by the sound of shoes hitting the stone.

I whipped my head to the right where I caught a glimpse of black boots in the shadows of the room where the dim lighting didn't quite reach.

The boots began to step forward, revealing black jeans and then a black hoodie before finally revealing a sheep masked figure.

My heart practically jumped out of my chest as my eyes took in the figure standing before me.

I took a step back before my back bumped into Archer's chest. I instantly felt him wrap an arm around my waist protectively before he pulled me behind him.

"You two are just too easy." Sheep Mask drawled out, his deep voice slightly muffled by the mask.

I frowned, wondering what he was talking about before the same scream rang out yet again.

My eyes instantly scanned the room looking for the source of the scream before Sheep Mask lifted his right hand. My eyes landed on the small silver device in his hand.

Sheep mask pressed a button on the device and the scream sounded off again.

It was...

"It's a recorder." Archer spoke up.

"Gold star for you." Sheep Mask said mockingly.

I shook my head, still unable or maybe unwilling, to put the pieces together.

"Why would-"

"So I could lure you two here, that's why." Sheep Mask interrupted and answered my unasked question. "I knew somebody would be dumb enough to fall for it."

Sheep Mask took a slow step forward before tilting his head to the side slowly.

"The really important question now then is...now that I have you two here which one of you is going to die first?"