Chapter 22

As soon as Dox was out of sight I slumped against the pipe before sliding to the ground.

This was it. This was how I was going to die. Chained to a stupid pipe with a face full of blazing steam.

"This is such bullshit!" I lifted my head long enough to watch skater boy yank uselessly against the handcuffs before I dropped my head again.

"Are we... are we going to die?" A soft, trembling voice asked from beside me.

I lifted my head and turned to the little girl next to me. There was no way I was going to tell her straight to her face that she was going to die, even if it probably was true.

I forced a smile and shook my head.

"Of course not. We're going to get out of here real soon." I lied through my teeth.

The little girl's bottom lip trembled and I could see new tears forming in her big blue eyes.

"That's what grandpa said, but that man hurt him anyway."

She started to cry and I had no idea what to do. There wasn't much I could do since I was handcuffed, but I hated watching other people cry.

"H-hey don't cry. Everything is going to be fine. Okay? How about you tell me your name? Mine is Gemma."

The girl sniffled loudly before she looked up at me again.

"Rose."

"Rose, that's a very pretty name. Just like the flower."

Rose smiled a little at that.

"Roses are my favorite. My mommy gives me one every year for my birthday."

"Really? Well I wish I had a pretty name like yours so I could get something nice like that for my birthday."

The girls smile widened.

"But your name is really pretty too. Gemma... it's like a... a... a gem! You can have your mommy give you a gem every year for your birthday!"

I smiled and then suddenly had to fight back the new threat of tears that wanted to fall.

My mom.

I wondered what she was doing. Does she know what's happened? Are the police looking for us? Does dad know?

"Dylan."

I lifted my head and turned to the right to see skater boy staring at me.

"What?" I asked.

"My name, it's Dylan."

"Oh." Was all I said. It's not like I had asked him his name.

Dylan turned to his right so he was now looking at the man who had tried to get me killed earlier. What good it did because now we were both about to die.

"What about you? " Dylan asked him.

"What do you mean what about me?" He snapped.

"Your name? What is it?" Dylan urged.

"None of your damn business. We're all about to die and your worried about names?!" The man yelled.

Rose instantly looked up at me with wide watery eyes again.

"I thought you said we weren't going to die? You said we were going to get out of here." Rose's bottom lip was trembling again.

"We are going-" I started to say but was cut off.

"She lied. You're going to die just like the rest of us kid." The man cut in, and just like that, Rose was crying again but this time she kept mumbling "I don't wanna die" over and over as she sobbed.