💕Chapter 4💕

"Hi guys!" I shouted as soon as I entered the classroom. My roommates and best friends were seated around the table engrossed in a discussion. Students were scattered all the around the class all in little groups discussing. The class was rowdy since we had a free period and no teacher was available to teach us. I had just come back from the prefects meeting which as usual I was the last to arrive from. The principal had called me after the meeting to discuss the agenda for the following week. I took my seat amongst my friends and joined in the discussion.

"So, are you doing anything during sports period?" Lara, the library prefect, asked me. She had a smallish stature and wore thick rimmed glasses. The glasses were so thick, about the size of a standard English dictionary. Okay, maybe not that thick but you get that her glasses are thick. Pimples spotted her round face and her thin, small lips stretched into a smile such that her lips formed a small, thin line. Her nose was small and the only thing that stood out from her face was her gigantic eyes, which looked even bigger with her glasses on. Her full, black natural hair had been braided into large twists which she packed into a loose bun.

"No oh ah You sef you know me. I don't like anything that will stress me out" I said and Cynthia chuckled.

"Ole oshi!" (Lazy girl) Cynthia said in Yoruba laced with her strong igbo accent. It had sounded so foreign in my ears, like the language didn't belong on her lips.

"Haba! You still can't speak our language properly" Lara teased Cynthia.

"Free me jare. Is it my mother tongue?" Cynthia said, a visible frown on her face.

"No vex na. Lara is just joking" Theresa said trying to appease her but it was obvious she was trying to suppress her laughter.

"Yeye people." Jenny hissed. But from the look of things a smile was boldly plastered on her face as she joined them in mocking Cynthia.

"Don't mind them jare-" I was saying but was cut off by a loud noise. All heads gravitated towards the door and soon enough we were staring at the tall, lean, muscular frame of Benjamin, the sports prefect of our set.

Benjamin, as expected, was one of the terrible four. It was difficult not to acknowledge his presence because of his unusual height. He was over six feet tall but he wasn't lanky, rather he was well built. The first thing you'd notice about him even if you weren't paying much attention is his long, muscular legs. He had the legs of a sprinter, probably because he had won many medals for sprint races. His hair stood black and full on his head, it had been cut into one of the latest hairstyles where the front of the hair was fuller than the back. It looked so much like Korede Bello's hairstyle. His cocoa complexion glistened in the hot afternoon sun as sweat trickled down his forehead. He was panting heavily, like he had been running. Eyes blacker than burnt charcoal roamed the entire class, before brown lips the colour of his skin parted to speak.

"You guys should get the other students to the sports centre. It's time for sports" his voice was loud and audible. It resonated throughout the entire class.

Although I had been against the idea that Benjamin was made a prefect because he was one of the most notorious boys in school. He had managed to disappoint us all as he actually took his job more seriously than we all thought he would. In less than two months since he had been made a prefect, he had managed to shape up the entire basketball team. This was quite a surprise because our school focused more on football than basketball.
We've won three gold medals and we were awarded a trophy.

He was wearing a red polo shirt, our sports wear, a pair of black joggers even though the school had provided us with a tracksuit but SS3 students hardly ever wore them. On his feet were a pair of red high top sneakers. His tall frame stood at the doorway as he barked out orders. Soon the whole class was almost empty as most students had dispersed to coordinate the junior students or linger around the corridors till the coast was clear.

I was one of the last people to leave the classroom because I had needed to pack my books into my bag. I didn't want to come back for it after sports so I decided to wait behind to get them. When I was done I slung my bag over one shoulder and turned to leave when my shoulder hit someone's stomach. I looked up to apologise when I saw Benjamin or BJ as he was popularly known looking at me curiously.

"Hi" my voice was small and I had to lift my head at an awkwardly uncomfortable angle to meet his eyes. He must have noticed because he sat on one of the tables so as to match my height, but even at that I still had to lift my head upwards slightly. Don't get me wrong I'm not short oh, I'm over five feet tall, he is just extraordinarily tall.

"You're the head girl, right?" a flash of curiosity crossed his eyes.

I tried to reply a "yes" but for some silly reason my voice had chosen to go on vacation so I replied with a nod instead.

He smiled at me, his lips drawn into a wide mischievous grin. I was beginning to get a little uncomfortable but I decided not to show it.

"How come I'm just noticing you?" his face was drawn in contemplation and I began to wonder where this conversation was headed.

I cleared my throat is my voice wouldn't fail me again.

"How am I supposed to know? Shouldn't you be asking yourself that" I said frowning. Although I hate to admit it, I felt hurt that he was only just noticing me. I guess I preferred it that way. At least I've always been happy not being noticed.

"Ahn ahn! I was curious about you." he laughed but I didn't get the joke so I just crossed my arms over my chest and raised an eyebrow or at least I tried to.

"Really?" I kept my previous stance.

"I was just wondering why I never noticed you before. Maybe it's because you look different this term" his eyes scanned me from my head down to my shoes. His face remained expressionless while doing so, I didn't know what he was thinking.

"What's that supposed to mean?" this time I was frowning. I'm sure I was glaring at him.

What in heavens name did he want?

"Babe! Chill na. Why are you so feisty?"

Feisty?

He is yet to see feisty.

Wait a minute! Did Benjamin just call me babe?

"Who is your babe?" he laughed giving me a wonderful view of his pearly whites. I guess that was a criteria for joining the terrible four.

Perfectly set white teeth.

"Never mind. See you on the field" he said already at the door stopping briefly to wink at me before disappearing.

Yes, you heard me right. Benjamin just winked at me.

Now I'm curious.

What's going on on the field?

I had to find out.

A/n

I've decided to go on with Dani's story because @Aijae_03 says she's enjoying it.

How do you like the description? I hope you weren't too bored. I'm just trying to let you know how the characters look like in my head to help you connect with them better.

Glossary:

No vex na- please don't be angry.

Chill na- Please relax/ calm down.

Korede Bello- a Nigerian musician

Igbo and Yoruba- two of the three major ethnic groups in Nigeria. The last is Hausa. They are also languages.

Yeye- Funny (Please somebody tell me the meaning. I don't know how to describe it to you).

As always thanks for reading.

Please vote and comment. I want to know how you feel about the book. Feel free to critique if you wish. I'm always willing to learn new things to improve my writing.