💕Chapter 5💕

The only thing on my mind as I walked in the terribly hot sun was Benjamin. His final words before he left the class kept ringing in my ears.

Why did he want to see me on the field?

Why did I need to be on the field?

I hadn't intended to participate during sports. In fact I had intended to find an empty classroom, relax and read one of the books I had borrowed from a friend.

The first thing I noticed as I made my way towards the football pitch was it's scantiness. On a normal day, a huge crowd would be gathered there to watch a football match taking place between the junior year students and the senior year students. Today was different though. The usual crowd on the football field had migrated towards the basketball court.

Without giving my brain enough time to process what my legs were doing, I moved hastily towards the court pushing and shoving my way through the crowd gathered round an object of attraction. Before I knew what was going on, I was in front met with the smiling faces of some of the five most dreaded boys in Trinity High School (THS).

"What's going on here?" I said without thinking about what I just did. My question was answered by the smiling face of Benjamin.

"I see you made it. You just couldn't resist, could you?" he said winking at me as I gave him the best imitation of a frown I could muster.

"What's going on here?" I ignored him and repeated my earlier question, hands folded in defiance as my eyes bored holes into his. We remained there in a staring competition and was soon interrupted by a cough.

"Ella, how far?" Josh said giving me a first hand view of his dimples.

"I'm good" I tore my eyes away from Benjamin's and directed my eyes toward Josh making sure to give him the best imitation of a smile I could muster under the circumstances.

"Head girl mama. I hail oh!" Deji, the richest and most respected member of the troublemakers chided me.

My jaw almost dropped to the ground as soon as he spoke. I could feel the eyes of the crowd watching us probably expecting my impending doom. I shifted uncomfortably and kept my eyes trained on the person that just spoke. I was about to reply when Banjo's voice echoed throughout the court. Immediately, the students dispersed leaving me alone with five boys I really didn't want to be with.

Banjo's steely gaze was fixed on my face and in just that moment I wished I was invisible. I squirmed uncomfortably under his scrutiny. I tried to move but my legs remained firmly rooted to the ground as I shook like a water leaf. I opened my mouth to speak but words seemed to fail me, thank my lucky stars that Kola, the most cheerful person in their group came. If not I'd have embarrassed myself big time.

"What's up?" Kola said his gaze roaming around the group when he saw our countenance.

"Nothing much. We were just having a little chat with the head girl here, weren't we?" Benjamin said sending me another one of his famous winks.

"Uh-huh-um yeah" I stuttered in embarrassment as blood flowed to my cheeks. Luckily I wasn't light skinned so it wasn't obvious that I was blushing.

"Yeah Banjo take a chill pill man. Why you so serious?" Josh said throwing an arm around my neck and sending Kola and Banjo one of those his famous smiles. I wonder if he would enjoy flashing his teeth if they had been brown.

Banjo eyed me stonily while Kola stretched out his right arm for me to shake while flashing a smile that seemed too wide for his face. I would have thought it was fake if not that his eyes seemed to imitate his eyes.

"Are you new in the school?" he asked as soon as I shook his hands.

"No" I had finally found my voice and was scowling at him.

"Hey man no need to get angry" he said looking from me to Joshua and did the impossible, his smile got even wider.

It was then I realised that Joshua's arm was still wrapped around my neck. Instinctively, I bit his arm and he yelped in pain instantly removing his arm from its position around my neck.

The others laughed while I glared at him triumphantly.

"What was that for?" he was rubbing the spot where my teeth had made its mark.

"Guy no vex na" Ben said wrapping his arm around my neck.

"She didn't mean any harm" he continued and I eyed his arm suspiciously and decided to lift it instead of biting him like I had done to his friend.

"Why did you ask me to be here?" I said trying to keep up a straight face as I spoke to him.

"Chill out bae" he grinned sheepishly "Your blood too dey hot. Chai!" Ben maintained the stupid grin on his face.

"Talk jo or I'll leave" I said frowning at him

"Oya, me and the guys were thinking about organising a sport competition. Something like the THS Olympic Games. We are planning to invite other schools and everything else. Unfortunately we don't have a good rapport with the principal, so we need your help. You know as the head girl and all, if you're on our side I'm sure he'll listen to us. What do you think? Are you in?" Ben and the rest of the guys looked at me with puppy dog eyes anticipating my response.

"Wow! I think I like that idea. Do the other prefects know about this idea?" I quirked an eyebrow.

"Well not really. Apart from us no one else knows" he said

"Okay. I'm actually a fan of this idea. I think it's great to start something innovative like this in our set. But I think it's best all the prefects come together to strategize and then come up with a suitable line of action. Knowing the principal, he won't support this idea unless we are able to prove to him that we know what we're doing. So what do you guys think?"

Banjo looked at me and scoffed

"That's the main reason I didn't want to get you involved. You and the other prefects would want to take all the glory for our hardwork"

"Chill man! I see some sense in what she's saying but it's kinda difficult for us to share our idea with the rest of you guys. Y'all don't get along with us" Deji said trying to prove a point

"I'm not saying you guys won't be given enough credit for what you've come up with. That's not it at all. All I'm saying is we should get our act together because the principal likes to see togetherness and organisation before he sponsors any idea"

"I get you Ella but it's our idea. We'll still have to think about it and get back to you" Joshua said giving me a sad smile.

"Thanks Dani but I'm afraid we might have to do this without your help afterall. Thanks anyway" Ben said walking away with the rest in tow before I could utter anything, they were gone.

I walked back to where my friends were dejected and sad. They had a really nice idea. I needed to find a way to help them bring their idea to light.

I walked over to the basketball court where Jenny had been standing gisting with Cynthia and the rest.

"Hey boo" Jenny said wriggling her eyebrows.

"What were you and the boys discussing?" her inquisitive nature was at it again.

"Nothing much" I said earning a few rounds of coughing from the girls.

"It's that cough that will kill you people" I said and they burst into another round of laughter.

"Sha be careful who you are doing nothing much with" Jenny said and I smiled.

Little did she know that we will be doing a whole lot of nothing much together for the next few months. I was going to bring the idea alive whether those coconut headed boys cared or not.

A/n

Thanks for your numerous votes and support. You guys are the bomb! I know I've not updated in like forever but I can't promise updates will be more frequent. Thanks guys! 159 reads! I'm over the moon.

Food for thought: Do you guys think I should continue with this book?