Miserable At Best.

Chapter 6.

'Miserable At Best'-Mayday Parade.

I opened my eyes to the brightness that was almost burning my eyelids to see a familiar surroundings.

I was in my room, on my bed.

I heard some talking from the outside but I just stayed still,  trying to remember what had happened.

And just then, everything flooded back into my mind.

I was in the hallway... and then Josh-oh God. He was-I don't wanna think about it. I felt so dirty. His hands were touching me and I hate that.

But how did I end up here?  There has to be something else th- No shit! The guy who punched him and took him away from me!

Great, I never saw his face.... but who's outside then?

I rose from the bed and started padding my feet accros the wooden floor of my room. I silently opened the door and then walked down the hall. There was a voice, probably talking on the phone since I couldn't hear anyone else talking. So, I quietly crept into the room, looking into the kitchen.

And to my surprise, there stood Ashton, with a cell pressed to his ear. He seemed into the conversation so he didn't notice me.

I don't know why was I surprised when I saw Ashton. Maybe I expected someone else to be there. Although that's absurd. How would anyone else get in here and-

My thoughts were interrupted when Ashton said something.

''Did you beat the bastard? Because if you didn't, I fucking will.'' he threatened and his voice was dripping with hatred. His hand was balled into fist as he hissed through his teeth. It scared me a bit.

But also what he said.

''Okay. Yeah, I know. Thanks again man. I don't know what would 've happened if you didn't show up. Yeah, anyway. I owe you one. Sure. Okay, see ya.'' and then he hung up.

As he turned around and spotted me, he froze in his tracks. His face turned into a frown and he stepped closed to me.

''Hazel? You okay?'' he asked softly and I just stood there, watching him, trying to read his eyes.

Who was he talking to? Was that the guy who saved me?

''I'm fine.'' was all I said.

Ashton made another step towards me. ''Are you sure?'' he asked carefully.

''Who were you talking to?'' I questioned, ignoring what he just said.

Ashton looked uncomfortable. ''Just... some guy.'' he replied silently and I pursed my lips.

''The guy who saved me from Josh?'' he seemed to frown even more at the mention of the name he hates with his guts.

Ashton nodded slowly. ''He brought you here. Beat the Josh pretty bad I heard. Bastard deserved it.'' he spoke, now in front of me.

I stayed silent, only releasing a sigh. Then I just made my way to the kitchen counter and poured myself a glass of water, as my throat was sore as fuck.

Ashton just watched me,  both of us not saying a word.

''So, what shall we do?'' I asked, not wanting to ask him the question. Yet.

He shrugged. ''I don't know. We could do the Netflix thing. '' he suggested and I agreed.

Minutes later, we were sitting on the floor covered with blankets, with a bowl of chips between us, watching Sinister .

I don't know why, but  Ashton and I love watching horror movies together. It's better together because we-well me-never get scared that way. We have each other and that makes it better.

The movie ended and I made  grimace. ''Oh God, that was kind of... sick.'' I proceed to say  and Ashton laughed.

''Yeah, I mean, would've never expected that to happen, right?'' he asked, getting up and walking over to the cupboards to take another bag of chips.

''Yeah, like, I would never expect his daughter to kill him. That's sick.'' I said and he poured the chips into the empty bowl, me instantly taking a mouthful.

''Woah, slow down.'' Ashton chuckled at my mouth full of chips. I mumbled something and that  made him crack even more

''I had no idea someone could put so much chips into their mouth at once.'' he commented and I rolled my eyes playfully.

''It's a gift, Irwin. You have to be born with such a talent. '' I said sarcastically and that made him chuckle again.

''You're so talented then.'' he told me and I did a bow. ''Thank you Mr. Irwin, it's such an honor to hear you say that.'' I said with a posh voice.

Ashton played along. ''I know, I'm such an important person, everybody would die to get such a compliment from me.''

''Oh, really? Now, I'm even more honored.'' I batted my eyelashes at him.

''You should be. My family's coming from the Netherlands, where everything's-'' he spoke but I interrupted him.

''Okay, now you're rambling, shut up.'' I said and we both started laughing.

After a while, the laughter died down and we just sat there, munching the chips from the  bowl.

But then I spoke.

''Ashton. ''

''Hmm?''

I hesitated.

''Who saved me from Josh?'' I finally asked and he almost choked. I watched him in amusement as he regained his posture.

''Um...why are you interested?'' he asked and I gave him a look.

''What do you think?'' I asked sarcastically. ''Ashton shut up and tell me, I wanna knlw who it was.''

Ashton sighed. ''It was that kid, Hemmings.''

I narrowed my eyes in confusion.

''Hemmings?'' I tried recalling the person but failed.

''You know, Luke Hemmings? The blonde kid from our grade. Never shows up anywhere?'' he reminded but I was still clueless.

''Sorry, no clue. Can you just show him to me at school? '' I asked and Ashton rose his eyebrows at me.

''Did you not hear what I said? Kid doesn't show up anywhere. I only saw him once untill today and I've been in that school for a long time.'' he said, running a hand through his messy hair.

I frowned. ''Well, you just spoke to him on the phone, didn't you?''

''What? Oh, yeah. He left his number because he was in hurry.'' Ash said and I bit my lip.

''Did he say anything else?''

Ashton thought about it and his eyebrows shot up.  ''He did as a matter of fact. It was weird, he said, 'you did well in beating his ass last time'. I didn't understand what he was implying.'' he shrugged and I found myself in thought.

Last time? Beat his ass? What the-

No.

It couldn't be.

Luke Hemmings... the blonde guy...

That's when it all came together.

Luke is the guy that told me to get Ashton and run away when they were fighting.

He called the principal's office.

Luke Hemmings.