Chapter 9

Chapter 9

On arriving home, I was distracted from my intended...objective when I ran into Alice. I stopped and asked her to come to the kitchen to talk to me. I was tired of making a fool of myself in front of Chelsea. I wanted everything to go perfectly on Saturday.

Alice eagerly agreed to assist in my efforts. She was throwing out menu suggestions faster than I could shoot them down.

"No, Alice—no foie gras. This is supposed to be a simple but romantic picnic—not the Queen's garden party. Please try to restrain yourself," I pleaded.

There would be nothing I could do to stop her from going to the store and buying all of the necessary items, although I insisted that I would help prepare everything. I didn't want Chelsea to think I hadn't taken the trouble to arrange things myself.

Alice was very excited for me. I decided to take advantage of the situation and asked for her dating advice.

"What do you want to know, Justin?"

"Well, what do girls want?" I asked.

"I can't tell you that!" Alice exclaimed. "I'll be ejected from the sisterhood."

"Very funny, Alice. Look, just give me a few pointers, will you?" I pleaded.

"Well, a girl wants a boy to be nice, first of all."

I nodded. I could be nice. The monster straightened its halo.

"Second, being well mannered—you know, gentlemanly—is always a good thing."

Well, that was me all over. The monster took a bow.

"Third, knowing a guy is more interested in your brain than your body is a real plus."

Uh-oh. Not that I wasn't more interested in Chelsea's personality; I was. I definitely was. Really. No question. The monster nodded vigorously.

"And being with a guy who can take care of himself, as well as you, is kind of nice too. You feel safe and protected."

Well, in view of past events, I felt pretty confident about my ability to keep Chelsea safe. The monster struck a pose and flexed its muscles.

"Thank you, Alice. I really appreciate your help—with everything." I truly was grateful. I saw her shaking her head. "What?" I asked in confusion.

"It's just so cute—you trying to impress a girl." Alice sighed.

Unfortunately, Esme walked in at that moment. "What girl?" she asked, eyes alight with curiosity. "Have you got a girlfriend, Justin?"

"No, I haven't," I insisted.

"Yes, he has," Alice contradicted. "Well, almost. Chelsea would be crazy if she didn't want to be your girlfriend. He's taking her on a picnic Saturday."

"Oh, I'm so happy for you, Justin." Esme beamed with delight and something else—relief? Comprehension? "You have to let me help. We can bake cookies Friday night."

"Look, it's just a first date. She's not my girlfriend. So please, don't make more of this than it is," I begged. I really didn't want to have to make explanations if things didn't go well and Chelsea never spoke to me again.

"It's just some cookies, Justin," Esme said chidingly.

"Okay, that would be great. I should go do some homework. Thank you both for your help," I said while escaping the kitchen.

I could hear the two of them discussing Chelsea as I left. I fleetingly wondered if Esme might make the connection between the recent lack of hot water and my sudden interest in a girl. No, I was just being paranoid.