chapter 1 - the news

for ya girl, alexis

for ya girl, alexis. *jumps and points finger guns at camera*

-
jack's pov

-"three young teenage girls became an overnight sensation on the very popular social media platform, youtube!" the news caster reads off, enthusiastically, "just like justin bieber with his singing videos, and jake paul with his vlogs, these adolescent girls are sure to be the new, creators on the rise. as they show exquisite talent in singing, videography, and vlogs, they've been growing in large numbers since last week."

"from 100 subscribers to 500k in just a few months time, you've just got to check them out!"-

"mom, can you please cut that shit out." i groan, relentlessly. she just never stops blasting her news shit on the tv, and it's so annoying. especially in the morning.

"no jack. what you need to do is stop cussing. you think you can just say whatever you want now because of that role you played." mom breathes, chopping her tomatoes slightly at a faster pace than before. i breath out too, and choose to just keep my mouth shut before she decides to lash out and ground me again. so while she chops her tomatoes, i tap my finger at the same time.

before mom finishes up my sandwich, she turns to me. "honey. maybe you should go sit and watch my news for me instead of annoy me. then while we're in the car, you can tell me all about it." she says, oddly and creepily monotone. i don't even bother to argue, or groan, or even roll my eyes. i just smile and make my way to the couch and bare for the agony.

before you think i'm being over dramatic, i'm not. i just hate the news so much, all the crap they spew out is completely utter bullshit! for example, when harambe was getting so much media attention, i didn't give a shit. for years a bunch of "shamoo's" have been dying, but did anyone care? no. so why should i give a fuck about one fucking gorilla. all zoos are corrupt and disgusting, no one just realizes it. that's just one of the many reasons why i hate the news, they barely touch on the real shit.

another great example is what my mom is watching right now. youtubers? seriously? the last youtuber who grew this quick was ricegum. and god, he was annoying.

-"we got an interview of two out of the three of the rising girls this morning at their school, where they participate in their student news crew. guess they just love being in front of the camera! now to shane out in the field."-

i roll my eyes and whisper to myself, "if they love being in front of the camera so much, i can already make some guesses at what they'll be when they grow up."

-"thanks jan! here i'm at the adderley school for the performing arts in santa barbara, where the girls all attend school and are part of the ARTE program. we have scarlette loveso, and alexis haybrook standing next to me."-

"ya hear that jack! they go to the same school as you." mom bursts out suddenly, dropping my sandwich bag on top of the coffee table.

i slowly get up and grab my bag, my eyes not leaving the tv screen. "yeah... i didn't even know."

-"so, girls. would you like to introduce yourselves?"-

-"hello! i'm scarlette! and this is lexi. katelyn is also a part of our channel but she's inside right now practicing something for school."-

the camera pans and focuses into the school. but to the corner, i can see the unfocused silhouette of the blonde girl. her golden hair straying into the side of the camera, as it reflects from the early morning sun.

mom rushes me to hurry up and get to the car, but before i do, i see the headline has each of the girls instagrams, and i make sure to memorize 'lexi's' in my head.

you know.... just so i can show mom in the car since she did want me to tell her "all about it."