chapter 9 - cockblock

jack when he saw the text from finn about lexi^^—jack's pov

^^

jack's pov

i was febrile. my palms were sweaty, and my face felt flushed. my heart beat so loudly, it was the only thing i could hear next to my loud walking. as i attempted to open the door, my hand slipped and i had to go and try to open the door again. this was so embarrassing.

i don't know why i'm like this; i'm never like this.

it's just that, lexi makes me feel so different. i feel like a whole new person when i'm with her. she showed me a new side of me i never knew existed; and because of that, she has a special place in my heart. although, i can say that right now i'm not really great at expressing and showing her that.

i do feel awfully bad that i haven't even tried to contact her. whenever i did try, i would have a nervous breakdown and i just couldn't do it. the fact that i'm here about to speak to her, astounds me.

walking through the school's theater, i notice no one is around except for finn and his girlfriend. where the heck is lexi? was i freaking out for no reason?

"hey, you gross lovebirds!" i yell as loud as i can, my voice echoing throughout the spacious theater. finn and katelyn just glare at me and whisper something to each other before katelyn yells back.

"okay asshole, your girlfriend is in the dressing rooms! you better apologize to her or else i'll kick your ass!"

i only chuckle along with finn, before heading towards the back, following the short hallway leading to the few dressing rooms our theater has.

seeing that four of the five rooms were open, i automatically presume towards the door that's shut.

god, it's like i can already feel her presence. kind of like we some kind of spiritual connection or some shit? i don't know, i'm weird. forget what i said.

my hand quivers as i hesitantly hold it up to the door. i leave it there for what feels like hours before i finally hold my breath, and knock on the door twice.

acting fast, i shove my two sweaty palms into my jeans pockets, and awkwardly smile, hoping lexi opens the door. i'm trying so fucking hard to not show my anxiousness.

it took a minute, but the door finally swung open. i look down to see the angel of my dreams, giving me a small smile. the second i saw her heartwarming smile, my worries all flew away. i subconsciously return a smile and slowly inch towards her.

what the hell are you doing right now jack? trying to kiss her? maybe.

as i move in even closer, already feeling her body heat, i see her cheeks slowly transition into a light shade of pink. i feel mine do the same. my stomach is twisting and turning, and i suddenly feel like i'm back at that mac demarco concert.

we were now holding each other, my hands around her small waist, her feeble arms attempting to wrap around my neck.

i deliberately move my head towards lexi's, leaning in, and close my eyes.

but, as i feel her warm breathe brush against my lips, our moment comes to a halt.

"um..." is all i hear coming from the corner of the hallway. i feel myself fill with annoyance.

i look down at lexi who just avoids eye contact, but still remains in my arms.

finally, finn peeps around the corner, "yeah um, sorry to interrupt..." i just let out a groan of annoyance.

"katelyn just wanted me to tell you guys that the bell rings in about ten minutes. so if we want to practice, we have to get started now."

lexi and i just stay standing there, in each other's arms and awkwardly stare at finn, not even saying a word.

"like? now, now?" lexi finally says, softly.

that was the first time i heard her speak in a while, it made my heart skip a beat.

it gets even more awkward, "uhhhhh yeahhhhh? i thought it was pretty clear what now meant." finn says, lowkey starting to look irritated too.

lexi and i just once again look at each other and give each other an awkward smile, before we both start to follow behind finn, and onto the stage.

"hey.." i whisper just loud enough for lexi to hear while we walked together, "can we talk later? i feel really awful about everything."

lexi doesn't reply, but only gives me wholeheartedly smile and nods her head.

just then, i finally felt genuinely happy for the first time in days. it was all because of lexi, because it's only when i'm with her i can feel my happiest.