Chapter Forty-Three

"Rory." His voice shakes. I can only imagine what it is like seeing someone you once loved, and lost, standing in front of you. His eyes are bright blue, and his lips are tightly pressed together. He is very attractive. Tall, muscular, lean, gentle, and kind. He walks closer to me, what I assume is his body guard following closely behind him. He reaches out his hand, and brushes the side of my face, almost to see if I am actually real. He clears his throat, and tries to remain professional. "I understand you have some questions about your past." He forces a warm smile. Still stunned at his touch, I nod slowly. He sits on the chair across from the couch, and I sit on the couch between Titus and Carter. "I must apologize for the last time we met. I was overwhelmed, as one would be, at seeing my dead girlfriend here after fifteen years." I nod again, trying to remind myself how to breathe. Titus places his hand on my knee. The president, taking notice to this, shifts uncomfortably in his chair.

"Can you just- just tell me about the Aurora you knew. Everything about her. If I have questions afterward, I will ask." He clears his throat, and places his hands in his lap.

"First of all, my name is Josh. You never called me simply Josh, though. You hated that people call me that, and you refused to "conform to the ignorance of society" by calling me Josh instead of Joshua. I first asked you to be my girlfriend when you were thirteen and I was fifteen. We were convinced that we were in love. We were together a year before you were diagnosed with cancer. Your favorite color was green. Your favorite food was cookie cake. You drank a cup of coffee in the morning, and a cup of tea in the afternoon. You were sarcastic, and really witty. Everyone loved you, but you had a hard time making friends. You loved reading. Your favorite book was Pride and Prejudice. You loved it when I called you my own Eliza Bennet. You wore your hair in a messy bun most of the time, because you said you refused to "wrangle the beast." You were articulate, and straight to the point. You loved to smile, and you had this laugh that you couldn't hold back, so it was super loud. You used to kiss me to shut me up when you thought I was being stupid. I was convinced that you were going to be the one I was going to marry. Your dad was always wary of me, but my parents were already planning the wedding. You wore red all the time. You liked to dress up. You wore heels for no reason all the time. Every Friday you would come to my house and we would just lay on the couch together and watch a movie. You were sweet when you wanted to be. You were ridiculously flirty late at night, and I recall humoring you on such occasions. You were awkward, but I thought it adorable. When you were diagnosed with cancer, you would cry a lot. The medication didn't help. I would come over pretty much every day to do simple things with you. Sometimes I would come over just to make you a sandwich (where you would almost always make a comment like "I think that is MY job") or to read to you. I would sing you to sleep when you felt sick, and I would stroke your hair when you felt useless. Some days you would treat me as a nuisance, other days you wouldn't let me out of your sight. I started skipping school once the doctor told me that- that you were dying. I never left your side. Your dad was always gone, and I started getting angry at him for it. He would be gone for weeks at a time, leaving me to take care of you. He was always working on some science project. You were getting hardly any sleep for days, and then you wouldn't wake up for hours. You were the only child, but you always wanted an older brother. You had a good relationship with your father. You loved him very much. But once your mom left, he started to cut you out. And you struggled with that. You were over at my house all the time. You would hang out with my little sister, and I had the hugest crush on you. I liked you, probably, ever since my sister introduced you to me. You were- are beautiful. When you died, I couldn't get over you. It took me so long. Maybe five years before I could even consider another girl attractive. I would text you good morning and goodnight. I loved you very much. I don't know who this Rory is, but I do not believe her to be a monster." I swallow hard, my head aching with all of the information taken. I stare at my hands. Joshua stands. "I don't suppose... you would let me hug you?" I stand, and let him embrace me. He presses my head into his chest, and for just a second, I let myself become the Rory that he once knew. I press a kiss on his cheek. I feel a twinge of guilt for Titus' sake, but I push it aside. As of now, I am his Rory. He pulls away from me.

"Thank you. Are there any questions you have?" I rack my brain for a question, but I find none.

"No." Titus stands.

"I have one. What association did Rory have with Cryonics?" Joshua straightens.

"Dr. Finley chose her." My heart drops into my stomach.

"What do you mean?" I almost shout. Tears prick the back of my eyes.

"I mean he wanted you from the beginning. I suspect your dad gave your body to science." I sit heavily on the couch, and Titus looks down at me. I look up at him, and an anger sets in my stomach that makes me want to throw up.