Chapter Fifteen

The damage Paige suffered from wearing head phones blasting ultrasound at full volume means she may have to wear here hearing aids for the rest of her life, that is if her healing abilities don't kick in soon, but by the looks of things it hasn't gotten any better.

Paige now has special bionic implants in her ears to help her hear, they're so small Peter can hardly see them and he's sitting right next to Paige. With Tony's help Paige's hearing aids can tune sounds out, focus of certain things and increase volume of different noises. So now, she can change the settings of her hearing to listen for things outside, upstairs or even the sound of people's heart beats and breathing. At first it was a little overwhelming to hear everything at once, but with Tony and Peter's help she was able to set the volume to an acceptable level.

Today Paige has the most visitors thus far. It took some begging to let Ned and Michelle visit but seeing Paige's face light up when they entered made it worthwhile. In the small infirmary, it was quite cramped; Peter took the chair by the bed while Michelle and Ned stood either side of the bed as well as Tony and Rhodey near the door.

Tony and Rhodey were talking amongst themselves while Peter, Michelle and Ned were talking about plans for the holidays. Everyone was smiling until Paige's caseworker knocked on the open door. The caseworker, Mindy, had her hair up in her usual bun with the thick glasses and way too much make up. Her customary fake smile replaced with one that was genuine, it made the corner of her eyes crinkle.

'Hi, Paige how are you feeling today?' the caseworker asked from the doorway, having not yet been invited into the room, not that there was enough room anyway.

Tony spies Happy behind Mindy and trades places with her, talking to his friend so Mindy had space to talk to Paige.

'Hey, Happy what's going on?' Tony asks curiously, considering Happy's not ushering out the caseworker like he has been every time she's shown up this month.

'Mel and I have decided to adopt, unfortunately Mel can't have kids of our own.' Happy says with a sad look, but glances towards Paige in her hospital bed. Tony catches his friends glance toward the bed ridden girl and a smile races across his face.

'You're going to adopt Paige?' Tony asks with a massive grin on his face. Happy nods just as Paige lets out a joyful yelp and hugs the case worker, Peter has tears in his eyes as he looks towards Happy and Tony, with his own grin.

'Guys, why don't you give them a minute...?' Rhodey suggests as he waves the others out into the hall.

Happy, Tony and Peter stay in the small room as Mindy hands Happy the adoption paper work. Seeing Mel's signature already on the page makes both Peter and Paige smile.

Paige may have only met Mel once, in passing when She came to take Happy out for lunch a few weeks ago for their anniversary, she stopped to talk with Peter and Paige and from what she could tell; Mel was really nice and very funny. She was very pretty with long light brown hair and striking green eyes, she was a little out of Happy's league if Paige was being honest but it was clear they loved each other.

Paige and happy sign the adoption paper and when Mindy puts her signature on them, Paige jumps into Happy's arms. She gives him a little happy giggle when he hugs back.

'Mel is at home setting up a welcome home party for tomorrow; the doctors said you're being discharged at noon. You and your friends are welcome to come along, Peter' Happy says with an uncharacteristic smile, it suits him... Fatherhood...

'Gosh! Before I start crying lets go grab a drink to celebrate and let these two have a moment alone.' Tony winks at Peter as him and Happy leave.

Peter turns to Paige who still has a smile plastered across her face, but a questioning look in her eyes when Peter's cheeks turn red. Paige smiles at his adorable little smile as he looks up at her, slipping his hand in hers.

'Paige,' Peter starts, rubbing his thumb over Paige's hand nervously, 'Will, um, will you go on a- go on-on a date with me?' Peter look up at Paige, his eyes full of hope and cheeks redder than a tomato.

Paige bites her lip trying not to cry with joy, she nods her head slightly and then vigorously. Peter smiles wide, it's adorable. He jumps up and shouts, 'Yes!' only to settle down next to Paige and hold her hand again, bringing it up to his mouth to kiss the back of it.

'Peter...' Paige speaks with a broken voice, she smiles when Peter looks at her, still smiling, 'I love you.' Paige watches as Peter's eyes water and he bites his lip, face growing redder,

'I love you too.' Peter gives Paige's hand a light squeeze, and he leans over and kisses her cheek, spreading the bush to Paige's cheeks now. When Peter sits back they both just smile at each other.

'About time...!' Michelle throws the door open, letting herself and Ned in.