twenty

ONE YEAR LATER

Dear destiny,

Today is exactly a year since I moved to New York with my dad. And I'm glad I did. I would have never developed as a person if I hadn't.

So many things changed in my life. I'm no more Destiny Hartwell. I'm Destiny Bishop. I carry my father's last name now. He is the best father a sixteen-year-old girl like me could have. Every girl deserves to have a loving family. Not everybody gets to have a mother and a father, but if only one of them is present, every moment becomes more precious.

I and Sarah are best friends now with a common goal - to go to the same college. And getting better marks in school is the first step towards that. Our efforts were awarded. We're now honour students with chances of getting scholarships if we keep up the good work. It's easier to stay focused when you have a friend who can help you.

I know exactly what I'm going to do with my life. I've planned out everything.

I'm going to be a writer. And not just that.

My mother's name won't stay forgotten, buried among the names of every dead person on this planet. That's not what she deserves. She is an inspiration. And she should be. Her story will be told to the world.

The Jennifer Hartwell Foundation. Helping children. Every child. Talented or not, happy or unsatisfied... every child deserves the best.

Because I couldn't get the best. I got it later. That's why I want to give. Because I couldn't get.

Keith has been a great friend and helper to me and Sarah, giving us tips about the SAT exams and the college applications. Without him we would be lost. Having someone to help you out is always useful. Another lesson I learned.

Tyler? What about him? We're going strong against all the problems we face every day. I have the feeling he's the person I'll grow old with. We love each other. Maybe just the way my mom and my dad have loved each other in the past. Or is our love with Tyler stronger? Only time will tell.

Everything is beyond believable for now. And that's how it should stay. I know eventually something bad will happen, but until then, I'll just enjoy every single day of my life. Because you'll never know when God will take you up to the sky and you'll be declared dead.

Until the next time, sheet of paper! It was wonderful writing on you, as always!

Love,

Destiny M. Bishop

THE END