A Cry In The Void

I wrestled with my collar, looking for the paper dog-boy stuffed in it. It was a task without hands, and a vain one too, for the slip was no longer there.

Oh, no.

"Are you looking for this?" Dory asked after a loud sniffle, pulling out the slip. "I found it in your collar a few days ago. Is this your owner's address?" she asked, opening up the sheet.

On it was neat little letters I couldn't read, but I understood the numbers. "153" it read and then a word "Gland Ave" and then more numbers "#(27023-6589)" and another word below that "Collin."

I shook my head no.

Dory put a hand on my head.

"Is it a friend?" she asked, and I nodded.

I put my paw on the note and barked.

"Huh? You want me to read it?" she asked, and I barked again. "It says 153 Gland Avenue. That's on the nicer side of Medina, far away by the castle. I think it's in Louvre. Then there's a phone number, and a name, Collin. Do you have to go there or something?"

I gave her a quick lick on the face and ran out the door.

"Wait!" she called after me.

It was too late. I had to do this for her sake.

I made it to their living room, taking notice of the wreath that encased her brothers.

I have to do this.

The kitchen window, all the windows on the first floor, were all closed. And right when I was going to give up, Dory's mother walked in. And with such good timing too.

Taking advantage of the open door, I darted out past her and ran down the path.

"Tails! Wait! Come back! Please!" Dory pleaded.

I shook my head and turned, running as fast away from them as I could.

I had to do this.

I ran for a very long time, darting around corners and jumping on rooftops.

I had no way of knowing if I was going the right way. From the rooftops, this city went on forever. On the ground, it was a confusing maze of buildings, alleys, streets, and turns.

I couldn't let this turn hopeless.

I stopped for a moment on a street that read "Gary Rd" which didn't quite read the same as the letters on dog-boy's slip.

I huffed and looked around.

If only streets had number codes, or glowed, or some obvious trait that deviated them from the rest, other than a name.

"Ah got that shipmen' ready for the Parsons and Orvilles, Mailey, when yer ready?" A man in an apron carrying two huge crates dropped them right in front of a huge shop. "If da trucks ou' back, I'll load 'em in myself."

I took a tired deep breath.

I didn't have time to catch my breath. Every moment I was away from Dory she was more exposed. More at risk. Night and Day. I couldn't bear to see her cry again. I couldn't bear to fail and never see her again.

"The Parsons and the Orvilles? Jar my memory. Where are those slated to go?"

I started running again. I decided that jumping the buildings was faster than running the ground and started to make my way up.

"Well, Dan Parson is up there on Woods, and the Orvilles live just a little past Gland Avenue on Woodworth. It's an easy delivery—What da heck is tha?" the man asked, spotting me when I fell off the roof.