13

▂▂▂▂

The Red Door was right infront of me. The one I'd been told about, the place that held dark thoughts and I could only pray Elijah wasn't in there. I suddenly heard a scream, instantly recognising it belonged to Hayley. I yanked the door open and rushed inside.

I came to a halt to familiarise myself with the surroundings. I was in some woods, the sky was on the brink of darkness. As I turned to the right, a figure stopped, her head facing the opposite direction and her long hair covering her face.

I glanced down at her clothes. She wore a long tatty blue and white dress, it looked far before my time. The bottom had been trailing in all of the mud. As I looked back up, her head whipped around and I gasped in shock, feeling my stomach sink. I stared at her face, my face.

"Arabella?" I said, my voice at a whisper, knowing she couldn't hear me anyway. She looked scared, terrified. And she was out of breath, as though she'd be running from something.

I heard a male voice call out, "Arabella?"

She gasped before she ran straight past me and further into the woods. As my head whipped back in the direction of the voice, a figure was stood infront of me. It was Elijah. His hair was long, he had blood smeared on his chin and his clothes were dirty. His eyes locked with mine causing mine to widened. Could he see me?

"Elijah?" I said, continuing to stare at him.

He lunged forward, grabbing my arm tightly in his hand, "Arabella, please. Let me explain!"

"Elijah? No, no. It's not Arabella -- "

I cut myself off as I noticed his focus was on my exposed neck. And I knew exactly what he wanted. And now I knew exactly what memory this was. This was the day he killed Arabella.

I squirmed in his grasp, pulling my arm but his grip remained. He bared his teeth, "Let me explain."

"You're hurting me." I whimpered before kicking at his ankle causing him to let go. I watched as his face changed. The veins crawled down his face and his teeth grew sharp. I didn't hesitate, I ran as fast as I could in the same direction as Arabella.

My feet pounded against the ground and I whipped my head back to see him running after me, "Elijah! It's me, it's Cassie. Listen to me!"

But his face remained the same. It was like he could see me, but couldn't hear me. So that meant it was him but I had to find a way to break through the darkness and pull the real Elijah back out.

I vamp ran further into the woods, pressing my back against a tree. My chest rose and fell, calming my heart-beat down. I stayed there for a minute or two, trying to think of a plan. But first, I had to find Elijah again, considering I just lost him.

A scream shuddered through my ears. It was female. The screams died quickly and my feet began to stomp against the ground again as I ran in the direction. Then I heard a voice, a familiar one, "Cassie? Cassie? No!"

A body came into view, it was Hayley. She was crouched beside another body. As I moved closer, I saw Arabella on the floor. Her neck drained of blood.

"That's not me, Hayley." I said, causing her head to turn.

She stood up, her breathing shallow. I noticed blood all over her neck as though she'd been fed on, "I -- I just saw the face and thought -- God, I'm glad you're here."