15

▂▂▂▂

Klaus' P.O.V

My hand gently brushed away the hair from Cassie's forehead as I stared at her blank face. Her eyes were closed and although her skin, for some reason, hadn't desicated, she was ice cold. Her heart wasn't beating in her chest and it felt like mine had stopped too. Her body lay on my bed, tucked under the covers and I was sat beside her, waiting for her to wake. She had to wake. She had to.

"Klaus." A voice said behind me, causing my head to snap towards the door. Freya slowly made her way towards me. Her face sympathetic as though she was going to tell me that maybe this was the end.

I looked back towards Cassie's body, taking her cold hand in mine, "She's going to wake, Freya."

Freya sighed behind me, "I need you for ten minutes to bring Elijah back into his body."

I shook my head once, eyes still locked on Cassie, "I'm not leaving her."

"It's been three hours, Klaus." Another voice said, this one belonging to Kol.

I frowned as I let go of her hand, standing to face him, "This is your fault, Kol."

I noticed his face looking rather rough, his eyes as though he'd possibly been crying. His eyebrows instantly crushed together in the middle of his forehead, "Sorry, how exactly is this my fault? You are the one who smashed the totem into a million pieces which caused her to get killed."

I stormed towards my brother in anger, pointing my finger at him, "You're the one who has had this constant affection for my girl. You lie, you manipulate and you're devious, Kol. You've tried on multiple occasions to take her away from me. And if you think I was going to trust you for a second when it comes down to Cassie then -- "

"Stop!" Freya yelled above me causing me to shut up, "This is not helping at all." She faced me, "Cassie will wake, okay? She will. But for now, you need a break from being by her side and you need to help bring our brother back. Klaus, please."

"I need her, Freya. Theo needs her." I almost yelled. I clenched my jaw, fighting back a couple of tears, "I've been apart from her for five years and I can't leave her, not again."

"I know." She said, moving closer. She placed her hand on my arm, in hopes of comfort, "But like Kol said, it's been a few hours and -- "

" -- and what?" I shouted, interupting her, "I should just leave? I have to be here when she wakes up, Freya. I need her to know she isn't alone because she has felt that her entire life, and I don't ever want her to feel like that again."

Freya dropped her gaze from mine, "I understand." Her eyes flickered up to mine again, "I do. But she knows how you feel and you can tell her when she wakes herself up, okay? Elijah needs us to do the spell to put his soul from the pendant and back into his body. So, please, leave her for ten minutes, fifteen at most, and help."

I feel my nostrils flare as my jaw remained clenched through Freya's speech. I glanced over my shoulder at Cassie's body, which is still in the exact spot it had been for the past few hours. All I wanted was to stay there and be the first thing she saw when she woke, so I could tell her how much of an idiot I was and that I was sorry.

But I knew Freya was right too, we needed to bring our brother back. And Cassie was going to wake, she had to because her skin hadn't desicated. And I couldn't even bring myself to think that she was gone forever.

I pressed my eyes shut, "Okay." I opened them, looking back to Freya, "Let's do this." I swallowed harshly before storming past her and Kol and out of the door.

Kol's P.O.V

Klaus headed out of the door and down the hallway. Freya and I exchanged glances before she followed after him. My head turned, my eyes locking on Cassie's body laid on the bed. I swallowed the lump forming in my throat and hesitantly made my way towards the chair Klaus was previously sat in.

As I got closer, I could feel tears uncontrollably forming in my eyes at the sight of her lifeless face. I let out a long sad breath before slowly brushing the back of my finger against her skin, instantly feeling the coldness of it.

My bottom lip unintentionally quivered. I pulled my hand away from her face, clearing my throat to prevent myself from crying. I sat on the chair beside the bed, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry that I failed you. I took that offer to protect you and it got you..."

I bowed my head for a brief moment, not wanting to even think the word. I looked back up to her, "Theo told me you missed me while I was gone." I let out a small sad laugh through my nostrils, thinking she could actually hear me, "God, I missed you too."

Silence filled the room and I could only hear my own breathing. I sighed, "Remember when I died in Mystic Falls and you came back to the Gilbert house to give me that epic eulogy? I heard every word, Cassie. And I hope you can hear me too, or I sound manic."

My eyes flickered down to her open hand resting on top of the duvet. I reached forward taking it in mine, "Meeting you was the greatest thing that's ever happened to me. You make me feel accepted and happy and loved. And I know we've been over this a thousand times and you love my brother but..."

I licked my bottom lip in thought, "You are not gone, okay? Because if you don't wake, like I said before, I will do whatever it takes to bring you back."

I could feel the tears almost of the verge of falling from my eyes. I blinked them back as best I could, "I love you, Cassie Fell. I truly do."

Author Note -
I love Cassie's relationship with both Kol and Klaus
so much, they both adore her, ugh