. chapter five .

just like yesterday

Another day school with the grungey girl and soul punk kid, except today, was someone's birthday.

"Happy birthday Brendon." the class cheered, Tyler heard a grim undertone, that was just him.

"You cant give those out unless I get one, along with the rest of the class." The teacher said to Josh, their teacher said everything with a spoonful of charm.

Tyler suddenly wasn't hungry, seeing Josh carry a container of colourful cupcakes at his waist, handing out individual baked goods to the class, he was doing Brendon's dirty work.

Patrick played with his notebook, Debby was ready to take some hits for me, although she didn't even know about Tyler and Josh's food fight nearly three weeks ago.

"You guys want one?" Josh pushed his tray forward, two expensive looking cupcakes remained, Patrick grabbed his without even taking his eyes off his page, Debby looked confused at the final cupcake, taking one for herself, whispering "we'll split it." to Tyler and shooing Josh off, he didn't listen.

"I saved this one for you." Josh stared at Tyler, he looked at everything that wasn't Josh until he saw a pastel yellow cupcake placed on his desk, Tyler looked up at Josh for what seemed like all class but only fell short a couple seconds.

Tyler was still wondering how Josh acted like nothing happened, how could he have any ounce of love when Josh squished his tiny little heart. Still, an ember burned dimly in Tyler's little heart, he was pretty sure it was his stomach instead because of the frosted pastry in front of him.

"t-thankyou" Tyler lightly released from his lips, Josh smiled at his struggle with words. "You can go now!" Debby isn't biased at all with Josh, she's just very protective.

Tyler looked to his right and saw that Patrick had scarfed down his cupcake, including the wrapper which was a bit strange. Tyler looked to his left and saw Debby's cupcake set perfectly on her desk without a single fingerprint, she treated it like a model for her Instagram.

Tyler just licked the icing on his present until an iridescent bag caught Tyler's eye from across the class, it was the girl that kept staring at him days before. She looked as if Josh's never stopped by with his cart of snacks, Tyler felt an urge of confidence, supported by curiosity to help her. 

Tyler sprang up and pulled Debby's cupcake from its position and walked over to the random girl, sitting alone. 

"Hey, I'm Tyler." he said with haste, she was surprised but calm at his sudden visit. 

"Melanie." they shook hands like adults, Tyler handed the cupcake to her, almost like an offer. "I'm fine, thanks." she held her hand up like a crossing guard. Tyler was wondering why she didn't want the purple glazed treat?

"No really, I'm good." Tyler tried to place the cupcake on the desk, Debby snatched it from his grasp at lightning speed, he ignored her. "Is this a Josh thing?" Tyler broke the thin, shattered ice.

"W-what? No!" she said quickly, triggered by the name, Tyler gave her a friendly look as she crumbled. "Fine, it is." Tyler smiled.

The bell for next class rang, resulting in Tyler loosing Patrick and Debby, but that didn't bother him, he wanted to hear more about Josh. Melanie slipped him a folded piece of paper.

"Meet me here tomorrow at lunch, bring an open mind." she pulled an iridescent bag around her shoulder and walked out, her half and half hair bouncing like a beach ball with every step.

'bathroom 003'  the scribbled note read.

-

I just hope you guys like it,

Figures - Jessie Reyez