Chapter 4. Mission in Progress.

"So are all of your missions like this?" Eri asked us as we were escorting her home country through a rural pathway. 

"Some of them. Missions can vary for how different they are and what type of mission they are for difficulty." I explained to her and her eyes were wide in awe. 

"That is amazing how you do so many different things! You must be so skilled in a lot of those fields." in amazement, Eri said to me with her eyes shining. 

"It varies on the person." Kiba said to her and went into detail. "Shino is better at long range than Chika and I. Chika and I are better at talking with people though, we give off a friendly vibe. Shino here gives off his own type of special vibe." jokingly, Kiba said and slung an arm around Shino's shoulder. 

Despite the fact that Kiba was getting a death glare from Shino, Eri was oblivious to it and looked at us all in awe. 

"I sure hope that I have good enough qualities and skills to run my homeland country." she said in a worried tone. 

"Well," Kiba began and took his arm off of Shino in an uncomfortable manner. "Did you get taught anything or trained in preparation to rule it?" 

Eri thought for a few moments before she replied. "I was given many training sessions in preparation of me becoming of age to rule." Eri's face still showed that she was worried.

"I think it is more in the confidence you have of yourself and you knowledge between right and wrong that makes a true good ruler." I said to her and patted her head. 

"You are forgetting strength." Shino said out of the blue and Eri's eyes went to him. 

I got frustrated again at Shino. Whatever was up with him, he would not hint at what it was. Instead he was a jerk to my good intentions. I sent him a glare and crossed my arms over my chest. 

"I think that once you have good confidence and good morals, strength will come naturally after you work at it for a bit. You do not need strength right away because it is something you will get anyways." 

I thought that whatever Shino was going to say would make me fume, but it did not. In fact, Shino said nothing. That frustrated me more than anything. He had dare to say something earlier, but not have enough guts to answer me. I was fuming, but I did not say anything to him.

"So Eri, tell us what it was like to be a princess." I said in an attempt to switch the subject and to keep my anger uncontrolled. 

"What is was like?  Well when I was younger I would observe my father do business with his friends. I think that I grew up like any other child because I was close with my parents. I did not have many friends, but I did have some that my father would have over at our house whenever I asked him and it was good timing. Once I became of age, I was sent to Konoha to do paperwork to become the feudal lord. After that, I am supposed to have my ceremony and become ruler. I am excited to help the people and protect them, they are so kind to me."  

"Wow, you sound just like a normal person." Kiba said bluntly and I rolled my eyes as Eri giggled a bit. 

"That might be because I am. Just because I have an odd job does not mean I am an odd person. It just means I have an odd piece in my life." she said and ran her fingers through her hair. "Enough about me though, how did Kiba get this big of a dog?"

"Who, Akamaru?" Kiba asked and rubbed Akamaru's head. "I guess to me he is still so small because I am around him all the time." 

"You should have seen him when he was a small pup. He was more adorable than he is now." I said and smiled as I remembered Akamaru in his pup days. Akamaru's bark pulled my mind away from the memories. "Sorry Akamaru, you are still adorable to me." 

"You guys sure do live an exciting life." Eri said as she looked at Akamaru with a smile on her face. "I have been wondering why are we taking this pathway?" 

We could not blame her for being curious about the path we were taking. Since we were with a princess, we had decided that it would be best to take a less busy route so there would be less of a chance of people recognizing her. If somebody did come after her on this route, no innocent bystanders would be affected. 

"Oh, just for safety measures." I said and waved my hand lightly at her. "Don't worry about it, you'll be fine. We promise."

"It's good to always have your guard up." Shino said to me in his usual emotionless face. 

"Thanks Shino, I was unaware that you were willing to talk to me now." I said and sent him glare. "Nice to know you are willing to say things but not ready to follow through with your point." 

"Chika, come on. Shino is just meaning his best." Kiba said to me in an attempt to be the peace keeper. "We have to keep our attention on the mission." 

"You're right," I said and was quiet for a few moments while I was in thought. "I'm sorry Shino." 

Wait-oh damn it! There I go, being a nice person and forgetting right away that somebody was mean to me. Something is up with Shino and I plan to get to the bottom of it. No way I can let this Bug Boy get away how he is acting. Showing no respect is just disrespectufl! I thought to myself in my head and scrunched my face together. Maybe I need to start to learn how to stand my ground. Show Shino that my kindess is not my downfall. Nobody else has made me think that my kindness was a bad thing. 

"We have made plenty of progress for today, it is starting to become sunset and it will take us a while to set up." I suggested to the others. 

The others agreed and we began to set up right away. Eri was excited to help and did almost half of the setting up. I gave the girl credit, she was caring and helpful. I knew that she was going to make a great ruler of her country. She just needed some more confidence in herself. 

We decided to take night shifts for who would be on guard. It was Kiba, me, then Shino. Eri looked as though she wanted to do a shift also, but knew that she would not be able to help much since she was not strong enough. Also because of the fact that she was the person being guarded. 

It was not until after about two hours that Kiba came out to me during my shift. I was peacefully sitting with my legs cross on a rock, facing the tent with a kunai in my hand just in case. When I saw a tired Kiba walk out of the tent, I chuckled because he looked a bit confused since it was early in the morning. 

"Chika?" he asked me and looked around. 

"Yes?" I replied and smiled at his facial expression. Kiba did not seem to be much of a morning person at all. Then again, it was close to one in the morning and anybody would be tired at that point in time. That did not make Kiba's face any less amusing though.

"Do you know where the best place is to take a leak?" he asked me and I sweat dropped a bit. 

"In the Hokage's office?" childishly, I replied to him and stuck my tongue out. It was a long time inside joke that we had shared for many years. Anytime one of us mentioned it, somebody was going to smile. 

"Okay, thanks." drowsily, he replied and began to walk into the woods with Akamaru following after him. I rolled my eyes at him and chuckled. Those two were close. 

Peacefully, I closed my eyes and listened to the sound of the woods. Despite the fact that bugs terrified me, some of their noises were soothing. Slowly, I breathed in and out and felt very calm. Even on a mission, there was beauty to it. 

When I heard Akamaru bark from Kiba's direction, I bolted straight up an dreadied my kunai to fight. 

"Akamaru! Kiba! Is everything oka-" I tried to ask them, but got cut off by a sudden bomb. It was a kunai bomb.

I then realized that we were under attack. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello there! I apologize for not being able to update last week. I was very busy with school and over the weekend I was sleeping over at a friend's. I am sorry I was lazy. :c I hope you enjoyed this chapter though. Do you see any change in Chika from the begining of the story to now with how she is thinking about her kindness?

How are you guys? How is school? LESS THAN THIRTY DAYS OF SCHOOL FOR ME! I am pumped for the summer. How much school do you have left? (: 

Have a kick booty day guys! Farewell. c: