Chapter 8. Butterflies

"That was nice of Shino." My mother said and smiled gently as she chopped up some vegetables. "Did you thank him?" 

"I, uh, I think I did." Sheepishly, I admitted and scratched my head. "I can't remember exactly-" 

"You need to thank him right now!" She roared and gave me a glare. "Do you know how kind that was of him? Some guys would have run the other way. Well, most ninjas worth their headband would save their teammates. There are some that are selfish cowards though."

"Do not worry mom!" I yelled and waved my arms around. "I am pretty sure I thanked Shino. I only got back from the mission today so my mind is a bit blurry." 

My mother sighed and looked at me sympathetically. "I am a mom who loves her favorite and only child. I have been in the ninja world much longer than you have and I have more experience than you. There are times when terrible and terrifying things happen, but you have to keep going. It is difficult for me to acknowledge that you are going to have to go through that too." 

It was then that I admired my mother even more than I did before. She did have imperfections, in fact many, but I still loved her. I felt as though the universe knew I would need a mom like her. She was strong, funny, courageous, and caring. It was odd to see my mom look vulnerable in a way, but it showed how human she was. 

Happily, I smiled as I replied. "Then maybe I will come out as amazing as you are." 

"Hell yeah I am amazing." She said and strokes a pose. "I am one amazing person. Anybody who says otherwise is a liar. Did I tell you how I prepared my new teammate to be on my squad?" 

I groaned because I knew that poor person probably went through a living nightmare. My mother had a thing for making sure her teammates were ready for anything and everything. Her squad did very important and high ranking missions. This made her want to make sure her teammates were ready for anything. 

"What did you do to this poor person?" I whined at her. Part of me was scared to find out what she did.

"Stop always showing pity for any newcomer. I am just mentally training them." She said. 

More like mentally torturing them. I thought and scrunched up my face. 

"Anyways, this guy was a shy guy. This made me want to test him even more. So when he went to the bathroom, just seconds after he was in there, I attacked him." She explained and saw the look of horror on my face. "Stop looking at me like that! He was not prepared for that attack. I know what you are thinking, 'That is invading personal privacy and yada, yada, yada.' Do you think the enemy would wait until they were out of the bathroom? Nope, you have to be ready for anything." 

 "Mom that is a good point you have there." I said and sweat dropped a bit at her. "That is a little over the top. What happened to him after that?" 

"That slow slug is still on our squad. I can only hope that with my kindness and amazing characteristics, I can turn him into a fighting machine." She said with passion burning in her eyes. Luckily, somebody knocked on the door at that very moment. 

"You do your cooking, I have this." I said to her as I walked out of our kitchen and towards the door. When I opened it, I saw Shino there. "Shino, what are you doing here? We have already reported our mission to Tsunade and she said we can go to her tomorrow for some missions around the village." 

"We agreed that we would hang out together for a day. Neither of us have missions today. I thought that we could hang out today." He explained to me and gave me what I guess was one of his looks. "Did you forget our agreement?"