Chapter 9: Laugh out loud

I had the giggles bad and they had spread to Aaron and Billy who were manning the cameras and audio while Zak tried to interview me for the exhibit. I couldn't help it, it was such a bizarre experience being interviewed by your boyfriend who knew all the answers you were going to give intimately. He was being serious journalist Zak and I found it hilarious, him not so much.

"Please Tracy, try and settle down and you two idiots stop encouraging her!"He pulled on the scruff on his chin in exasperation.

"I'm sorry!" I swallow down another burst of laughter that's threatening to erupt, "I'll try, just give me a sec. Aaron stop looking at me!"

"I'm the cameraman I have to look at you!" That was all it took to set me off again and I dissolve into a mass of uncontrollable giggles once more, much to Zak's annoyance. I take a swig of water still chuckling when I have an idea.

"Wait just one minute I'll be right back."

"Tracy! Wait!" I ignore Zak's protest and run out of the studio and down the hallway. It's already working as I feel myself become sober as I quickly walk past the basement. I stop outside of the knife room and place my hand on the door breathing in deeply. I feel the same erratic pulse travel through my fingertips and up my arm, all feelings of amusement now forgotten. I close my eyes and take a moment to feel all that I usually tried to block out, the fear, malice, disquiet and hate washed over me triggering the memories I needed to draw upon. Removing my hand I took a deep breath and closed myself off and turned to walk slowly back to the studio. I remained lost in my thoughts but I stopped in my tracks as a distant scornful laugh reached my ears. I come to realise that I am stood at the gate to the basement stairs, listening carefully I hear nothing more, not even the distant sound of the Vegas traffic outside, it was eerily quiet. I shake my head, it was inevitable that you would hear some weird shit here once in a while, the building itself had history enough let alone all the weird and wonderful objects housed inside. I was not going to dwell on one voice, no matter how unpleasant it sounded. I strode purposely back to the studio and took my seat.

"Ok let's get this done." Everyone quickly took their places and I ignore Zak's frown at my sudden change in demeanour. I was in the zone and the interview took next to no time.

"And that's a wrap." Aaron closed the clapperboard in front of the camera. I gulped down the remnants of my bottle of water, my mouth dry after answering question after question.

"Was that ok?" I asked Zak as he came to remove the clip on mike from my top.

"It was great, you did great. You have a real way with words when you describe that stuff, we may use some of it in the GA episodes too if that's ok?"

"Yep, sure whatever you think is best." I rub my temples trying to ease the band of tension that was threatening to become a full-blown headache.

"Are you ok sweetie?" Zak crouches down next to my chair.

"Yeah, it's probably better that I get out of here sooner rather than later though."

"Ok, can you give me half an hour and then we can both go home together?"He asked me as he rubbed the nape of my neck trying to ease the knot in my muscles.

"Yep yep, too easy, I'll help Aaron while you do what you need to do."

"Ok sweetie, thank you." With a little smile and quick kiss, he's out of the door and I start wrapping up some of the cables for Aaron while he packs the cameras into their protective cases.

"You sure you're ok pompom?" He watches me over the top of the case lid.

"Yeah, this place is a bit draining is all, to be expected really." I shrug my shoulders, I wasn't worried, it was something that I had come to expect following my training with Amber.

"Yeah, we all get that sometimes, go outside if you need to though, I'm almost done here there's no need to push yourself." I loved how Aaron always seemed to get it, he had a deeper understanding and empathy than I think he even realised.

"I'm good Aaron, thanks though." With a small nod of understanding we went back to work and packed away in a companionable silence.

Keeping to his word Zak found me half an hour later and we head out leaving Billy and Aaron to finish up with getting the editing gear set up for the next day. I take a deep breath and soak up the sun as soon as I'm out of the door, immediately feeling lighter and more energised as I do so.

"It can get somewhat oppressive in there can't it?" Zak squeezes my hand and watches me closely.

"You could say that. Can I suggest that no one works long shifts if at all possible."

"After having lost half my workmen I learned that long hours aren't doable for most people, it's all taken care of." I nodded knowing that he didn't include himself or the crew in the most people category and that pointing out the risks they were taking was futile, they all knew what they were doing and were as stubborn as heck.

"I'll meet you at home?" I ask as I open the door to the bug.

"Yep, race ya!" I roll my eyes, he knew I didn't stand a chance against the Charger and he would kick my ass if I drove recklessly. "I'll even give you a head start," He grinned as he shut my door and walked towards his car. I pulled away with no intention of even trying to race him and I was justified in my decision as he came screaming past me moments later. Seemingly it was absolutely fine for him to drive like a maniac.

"Call Zak." I spoke out loud and my phone connected to the car's system.

"Hey slowpoke what's up?" I hear the rev of the engine in the background.

"Calm your ass down will you? Be careful, I do not want to be pushing you in a wheelchair on Saturday, or worse god forbid!" I chide him.

"Don't worry I'm a good driver."

"Mmmhmm and what about the other assholes on the road?"

"Hmmph"

"Zak, please I'm a long ways behind you, I'm well aware that your car is fast and that you can handle it, you don't have anything to prove to me." I wasn't in the mood for stroking his ego and I hear him exhale loudly at my audacity at calling him out on his machismo bullshit.

"Ok sweetie, I'll behave, see you at home." He reluctantly concedes.

"Drive safe Bagans." I'm not sure if he hears me as he hangs up and I'm pretty sure that my words will fall on deaf ears anyway, he was always going to be a speed demon no matter what I said or thought.