Two

We were just friends who talked like lovers and that seemed to be enough for two teenagers who were scared to love one another

There was a time in primary school when Bea was fascinated by Ella. That was only because Ella was new to the school and since she knew Bea from her ballet classes, she tried to be friends with her and Bea liked the idea of being surrounded by someone she had common interests with. Ella had always been mean to Bea though. She was using her. There was always this stupid competition going on between them of who will be the star of their recitals. Most of the times were co stars but neither of them liked this. They both wanted to be the ultimate stars and that's why they always hated each other's guts.

- You didn't come to the practice.

I said while making myself comfortable in the couch of her house. Bea raised her shoulders as if she didn't care. She sat beside me in the couch and took a drink of her tea. I knew Bea all my life to know that something was bothering her.

- What is it Bea ? Is it Ella's year in this year's recital ?

I asked while tucking some black hair behind her ear. Bea turned to face me.

- No. That'd be totally disastrous. But...

She paused. Her shiny black eyes met mine.

- Ella is organising a party on the weekend...and...well...

She raised her shoulders once again.

- She invited everyone...except me.

I frowned.

- She didn't invite me either.

I offer. Bea smiles with melancholy.

- She is going to invite you. In fact, check your facebook, she must have already done so.

She says and I fight the urge to check my phone right now.

- Well, I'm not going anyway.

I say while Kevin's sayings are echoing in my ears. I don't care though. Bea is more important than Kevin and his crush on Magda.

- Because of me ?

Bea asks. I nod.

- Of course because of you. If my best friend isn't going, then, I'm not either.

Bea smiles, although I know she's faking it.

- I'm going to make us pasta, you're staying here the afternoon, aren't you ?

She asks and I nod again. I smile at her one last time before she disappears in the kitchen. I, then, check my phone. Bea was obviously right. There's a request from Ella in my account having invited me to a party she's organising for the start of our senior year. Bea was right again. Ella has invited most of the seniors, and she obviously did that to make Bea feel bad about herself. That's why I hate Ella. I don't like the way she's treating Bea and I know that Bea doesn't treat her right either, but Bea is my best friend and I'll always support her even if she's wrong.

- Hey, Julian...

I raise my gaze to meet hers.

- Yeah...

- Thank you.

- For what ?

- For being you. For being my best friend.