Three

If you think this is just friendship connection, it must be something more. We are just afraid to confront it.

Bea and I continued our friendship path till junior high school. For both of us, it was the year that our lives just had fallen together. She was awarded by her ballet teacher for being the most focused ballerina and I had finally made it to the football team of our school. Although we could both have other friends -and we did- we somehow always ended up spending most of our time together.

- Good morning!

I raise my head to see Bea approaching me. Although it's way too early in the morning she doesn't seem to mind. She's happy. Way too happy. Again.

- Morning Bea.

She sits beside me with a stupid smile being plastered all over her face.

- What ?

I ask.

- Oh nothing. I've got a chemistry test today.

- That sucks.

I comment.

- Yeah, I know. What sucks even more though is the fact that I didn't study at all.

I almost choke at the air.

- You didn't ? That's not very typical of you.

- Oh, well...practice almost killed me yesterday.

- But...

You finished earlier, I want to add but somehow I manage to keep my mouth shut.

Bea plays a little with her hair and I try my hardest to understand what has gotten into her again.

- So, what time is your practice today ?

She asks and my head jerks up at her question.

- Same as always. Why ?

- I might just come and watch.

- Since when are you that much into football ?

- Julian, you're my best friend. I always have been into football because of you.

She replies, smiling. I don't like that smile though. Something is off with her. The bell rings, causing her to stood up.

- See you at lunch!

She says and almost runs inside the school. I'm about to do the same, when a familiar voice calls my name. I turn only to see Ella. I try my best not to show my annoyance, I even fake a smile.

- Julian, hi!

She smiles too and if I didn't know any better, I'd say it was genuine.

- Ella, I'm already late to class.

I complain.

- Wait, I just wanted to ask if you'll come to my party on Saturday.

I look at her seriously.

- Which party ?

Now she's clearly disappointed.

- I organized a party for us seniors, for the start of our final year, I invited you, didn't I ?

She smiles waiting for my answer.

- Yeah, I think you did.

Ella puts some blonde hair away from her face.

- Perfect! So are you coming ? I invited the whole football team.

- I don't know Ella...since Bea isn't invited...