05

|C A I N|

Cain pulled his thumb up to his mouth, sucking on it in a way a child would. A sense of dread that had washed over him since he had found his older brother missing still overwhelmed him. Not just that Theseus been taken from him after them finally reuniting, but now an approaching werecat clan was threatening to attack.

Cain stared out the window of the bedroom. He was waiting just as he had when he had been a cat. It was long and boring, but since Emerson had been officially stated Alpha of the Almighty Thunder pack, he had a lot of work to do. He was also being taught online until they cleared up this mess.

Emerson should have been getting home any minute now. If he wasn't there soon, Cain and him would miss their doctor appointment. The doctor was actually the pack healer, and Emerson had assured him he was much more nice than the vet. Just as Cain thought this, the familiar scent of peppermint filled his nostrils. He grinned, even though every other part of him still felt a bit depressed. He couldn't help but being just a bit tinier happy around his mate.

    Emerson's blue Tesla car pulls into the driveway and he honks it at Cain, who pulls a thin jacket over his shoulders and runs out to meet him. He jumps in the passenger seat, buckling up. He leans over the armrest and pecks Emerson on the lips, who smiled softly at him.

   "Ready to go, kitten?" Emerson asks him, reaching over to rub soothing circles into Cain's thigh.

    Cain nodded enthusiastically. Although he had never liked going to the vet, he knew this visit would be much better. It was also a plus that he could voice what he was thinking in human form.

   "How w-was your day, Emmy?" Emerson glanced over at Cain as he said this.

   "You only stuttered once, baby! Good job! And my day was fine, thanks for asking. How was yours?" Emerson replied.

"Good. I missed you a lot though. I wish I could come with you to pack meetings..." Cain frowned at his lap.

"Kitten, I don't want you to get any more mixed up with this Theseus going missing and werecats attacking than you have to," Emerson began to reverse out of the driveway, heading back on the backroad that led to town.

"Theseus is my b-brother! I want to find h-him as fast as possible. Wh-What if they are t-torturing him, Emmy?" Cain felt tears start to well up in his eyes, but he wiped them away.

"They're not. He's going to be okay. I'll let you come to the next meeting, okay? Now let's focus on seeing what's up with you," Emerson gave Cain a lopsided smile that immediately lifted his mood.

"Okay," Cain's voice was soft as he gazed out the window.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Cain looked at the doctor worriedly. They had finished taking blood samples and x-rays and just gotten in the results.

Palms sweaty, Cain crawled over to curl up in Emerson's lap. Emerson pulled him closer and runs his hands through Cain's white mop of hair.

    The doctor, Dr. Evans, renters the room, a polite smile on his face. A clip board rests in his hands and Cain can't help but stare at it. Something could be seriously wrong with Cain.

    "Hello boys. I'm pleased to tell you that Cain is going to be okay," as Dr. Evans said this, Emerson gave a huge sigh of relief, "But we've figured out why his were form has had stunted growth. Your pituitary stalk, also known as the master gland on your brain, was slightly damaged while you were in were form. It doesn't seem to have affected your immune system, nor stopped your sexual development, so that's good. We could perform a surgery to help it fix itself, but it's not a need. If you leave it like it is, you'll just stay smaller than usual in your were form, but there's also a small chance of the wound becoming worse and that could cause all kinds of problems with your body."

Cain shivered. A surgery didn't sound like the most fun, but he didn't want to have his were form harmed. It didn't seem like Emerson wanted that either.

"When can we have the soonest surgery?" Emerson asked, rubbing at his brow.

"We can perform it as quickly as next Monday, if you're all right with that date. But while making sure his body development was working properly we found some... interesting things, per say..." Dr. Evans trailed off.

"What? What is it?" Emerson pushed himself further up on his seat, clutching Cain closer to him. Intense fear of Cain being hurt grew inside him, like spiders crawling along his insides. He couldn't let anything happen to his sweet, innocent mate.

"Well, you see here... Um, after taking urinal samples and running it through our database... Err... Uh-" Dr. Evans scratched at the nape of his neck, his stance now uncomfortable.

"Spit it out! What's wrong? If you don't tell me this very second I'll rip you apart!" Emerson growled, completely done with the blubbering mess of a doctor. Dr. Evans paled.

"E-Emmy! Calm down! It's o-okay," Cain soothed, a tiny bit worried that Emerson might actually harm the poor pack healer.

"I'm sorry, Alpha! It's just that- that- that-" Dr. Evans felt like his tongue was glued to the top of his mouth.

"That what?!" Emerson snarled, enraged and on edge.

"Cain, he is- Cain is- Cain's pregnant!"

$$ That's right. I just went there. 😂 Sorry, this is a day late, but my mom took my phone away... 😥 I got it back now, though! So yay! Anyway, I'm ecstatic about how this book is doing! It's now got #372 in Paranormal! CRAZY!!! 😍❤️ I love you all and this support is just amazing and I just- AHHHH!!! YAYYYYYY!!!$$