Choosing Sides

"Bravery is not the absence of fear. 

Bravery is feeling the fear, 

the doubt, 

the insecurity

and deciding that something else is more important"

-Mark Manson

To say I was stressed was an understatement

I was elected captain two months ago, after the Christmas game, and  Charlie had been acting weird as of late. Every other weekend he apparated to me or I took the portkey to see him. However,  the past month I haven't been able to see him, because he's been 'busy' with some family affairs. He promised me not to be worried.... which was exactly what I was doing.

Charlie was my safe place, in summary, and now he was making me more nervous than being the captain of an international winning quidditch team. I was constantly having to make extremely tough decisions with the team and getting questioned every other day about everything. Then, when I was with friends, they'd ask me about my relationship with Charlie and for those questions I didn't have answers for. 

"Aris Krum! What's your opinion on the new captain for Australia? Is Ireland a threat?" some photographer asked, as I walked out of the stadium with my team after practice. I rolled my eyes, and just walked briskly away. Those stupid reporters wanted anything more than another story. Couldn't i just go home in peace? It seemed like too much to ask.

I got home and made myself a cup of tea, sitting in the large leather comfy chair. Looking out the window, I saw snow falling around and remembered when Charlie and I played in the blizzard at his family's house. All I could do was sigh, and try to ignore the stinging in my eyes as I tried not to cry about the fact we hadn't spoken in days. 

Why was he avoiding me? What was wrong? Did he find someone else? 

Maybe it was one of those girls in Romania that made a move and stole him. No....Stella would tell me, right?... I shouldn't be thinking these things. Charlie wouldn't cheat, would he? 

There was also the big issue of that this week I found out I was pregnant. I had been sick and puking every morning, and I went to the doctor. I didn't know who to tell, who to talk to. I didn't have many girl friends, and my boyfriend was acting shady. I knew I could handle the pressure of being a single mom, but I didn't want to. I just got captainship, and there was no way I was giving that up. I'd be coach for when I couldn't do quidditch, but nothing was taking me away from my sport. 

Tomorrow I was going back to Hogwarts to see my little brother compete again. Viktor had been writing me about the competition, and how this annoying egg was hurting his ear drums, but he got some help on how to open it without the annoying screech. It was to do with swimming in the lake, so I had given him more than a few spells to practice for swimming underwater.

When I dressed and arrived at Hogwarts the next morning, people were already crowding the Black Lake for the contestants. I sighed, trying to find my brother when I found two red headed twins instead.

"Aris!" I heard them call, and I put on a smile, as I tried to pretend that everything was perfect.

"Hey guys! How are you two?" I asked, giving them both a tight hug. 

"Great! How's the team? Congratulations on captainship. Charlie didn't tell us but we saw from the paper" Fred said, and I winced a bit when they said Charlie's name, and unfortunately that didn't go unnoticed.

"What's wrong? What did our brother do?" George asked, concerned. I sighed.

"Nothing. He's done nothing..." I said, trailing off. "I've got to go my find my brother. See you both so-whenever Charlie can take us" I added, before walking off. I knew I left them with a bunch of questions, but they were to bother their brother if they had issues. 

"Aris! There you are. I was looking for you"  Viktor said, as he gave me a quick hug. He looked fairly nervous, but concentrated and ready for this competition. 

"I missed you too. Now are you prepared for this?" I asked him, concerned. He nodded, and I gave him a smile.

"Okay, now I have some serious news for you after this competition, ok?" I said, and he turned his nerves to me. 

"What's wrong? Did Charlie why he's been ignoring you?" He asked, and I shook my head. Viktor was the only one who knew that Charlie hadn't been seeing me. He was my closest and best friend, and the only one who knew everything about me... well not the pregnancy. Not yet at least.

"I'll tell you when it's over. For now, concentrate on winning" I said, and kissed his forehead before he was called with the other opponents.

By the time the competition was over, I wanted to scream at the judges again for Viktor's outcome. He should've been first. I knew his headmaster was taking care of it, but I was angry and being hormonal wasn't helping. 

"Hey sister. Now will you tell me what's up?" Viktor asked, concerned as we somehow made it to an area outside that we could talk privately. I was glad most other people didn't speak our language here.

"Well you know about Charlie... but I'm pregnant" I said, nervously. I saw Viktor look down towards my belly, before up at me. 

"Aris! Congratulations! You're going to be a mother. You've always wanted that" Viktor said, hugging me tightly. 
"Yes, but not now. Not when I'm captain. Not when I don't know where the baby daddy is" I said annoyed. Viktor sighed, and put his hands on my shoulders.

"If there is anyone that I think that could, despite all odds, be the best mother, it would be you" Viktor said.

"Thank you, little brother"  I said. 

By the time I made it back to my apartment, I was tired. All I wanted was a glass of firewhiskey - hell I'd settle for even wine at this point - but no. Being pregnant meant no liquor.

"Aris? You're needed on the pitch" I heard from one of the coaches who was standing at my house. I rolled my eyes, before changing into athletic clothes and heading to the pitch. As soon as I saw the forms and whole roster there, I knew it was going to be a long night of training. The baby was not going to be happy with me tonight.