ONE

Ethan was not gay.

He'd done a lot of stupid things in his life, but, as it turned out, spray painting God Hates Fags on the school wall had, by far, been the stupidest.

Ethan was not homophobic. For fuck's sake, he didn't even believe in God. The reason he did it, though, was because of an old grudge.

Last year, he'd had to work on a Physics project with Collin Bennet, the valedictorian with the 4.0 GPA.

Being quiet the opportunist,—that, and being a lazy piece of shit—Ethan let him do all the work.

What he hadn't know at the time was that bookworm-Collin was a snitch.

So, like the little bitch he was, Collin ratted Ethan out the day they had to turn their projects in. It cost the poor boy 35% of his grade, and he'd had to attend summer school because of the snobby brat.

Ever since then, he'd hated his guts. That was why, when Collin had come out as gay in the summer, Ethan—again, an opportunist—had taken it as a chance to mess with him for a bit.

Only somehow, he managed to forget that their campus had about seven hundred cameras literally everywhere, even the fucking classrooms.

So, to protect her son's—lack of—academic future, Ethan's mother decided that she would rather have had everyone think that her only son was gay, than to risk him missing his exams. She said that the reason he did what he'd done was to protest homophobia, that using the phrases bible-thumping idiots use to belittle gay people would be some sort of reclamation.

The principle decided she would not suspend him, but he did have detention every day of the week for two weeks, because, apparently, spray painting a school wall was still considered vandalism.

To add onto the pile of unfortunate events, his mother was so furious, that she grounded her son for the rest of the month. It was the first time she'd ever punished her boy—in all the seventeen years of his life.

Talk about a spoilt brat.

So now he was gay, grounded, and he had to endure two extra hours of school everyday for two weeks.

This was definitely going to take a toll on his throne at the very top of the social ladder.

But it didn't end there.

After Mrs. Longwood found out about his gayness, she suggested a public outing at the school because, according to her, coming to terms with sexuality was something to celebrate. She used 'LGBT representation' as an excuse, saying the school board was already looking for some way to embrace the 'differences' of their 'eccentric' students, and this would be just perfect.

What a load of horse-shit.

When he tried to refuse, his mother smiled devilishly, told Mrs. Longwood it was a great idea, and even signed the fucking form.

***

When Monday rolled around far too quickly, Ethan couldn't help but notice the feeling of dread that usually accompanied the start of the week had been amplified.

Today was the day of his public "outing."

He was not worried about the homophobes; it was 2018, so he doubted there were that many. And he could probably beat all their asses, anyway.