TWENTY FOUR

His mouth curled into a lopsided smile, flashing hooded eyes down at Vincent as the latter—dazed and lightheaded—wrapped both arms around his neck. Ethan loved when it was like this: Just the two of them, alone with tingly lips and pounding hearts.

   There seemed to be something so beautiful to Ethan about caving into his utmost primitive desires; something so exhilarating about wanting so bad it was all he could become. Quickly, he realized how easy it was to be sucked in deeper and deeper the moment he let himself go.

   The hard part was now over. Surprisingly, things appeared to be sailing smoothly after the initial horror of the whole ordeal. It was that first step off the ledge, plunging into ice cold water, his body submerged so deeply that he thought he would never be warm again. That was all it took: Allowing himself to be vulnerable, even if only for a minute. Allowing himself to jump knowing that he could be well on his way to mortality, but deciding it was worth it. Once the  shock and numbness wore away, once the feeling returned to his limbs and his heart didn't feel so much like a clenched fist anymore, the warmth was absolute euphoria—better than anything he'd ever experienced before.

   It was like a literal, thousand-pound weight was lifted off Ethan's chest. Being open, though it was not something he was completely comfortable with yet, had unlocked a new world of wanting and craving and endless possibilities and all he could think about were more.  The downright terror had long since vanished, taking with it all feelings of apprehension and leaving the teenage boy with more joy and enthusiasm than he believed he could handle. 

   He didn't care that life was an upward climb toward a steep, heart-dropping fall. He didn't care that the higher he climbed, the harder he'd fall, and the more it'd hurt. He was young and free and—for the first time in a long time—happy. Really, really happy. And all he knew at that moment was Vincent's arms holding him and the hot breath against his face and the soft lips kissing all his worries away. He didn't care about anything else, and, for once, he didn't want to. 

   Ethan pulled away from Vincent enough that their lips still brushed with every word. "This is good," he breathed, incoherently and not entirely making sense.

   He didn't need to, though, because Vincent understood. Vincent always seemed to understand. "It is," he agreed, a smile snaking into his voice. 

   Ethan kissed him again, tongue driving deep inside his mouth and not wasting a second. Vincent pulled back breathlessly, stunned. "Too good," Vincent said, voice quivering. 

   The other boy chuckled loudly, throwing his head back delightedly. "See? That was one rumor you should've  believed a long time ago."

   Vincent rolled his eyes, but his grin gave him away. "Sure, Eros," he retorted, much to Ethan's confusion. "Wanna stay for dinner?"

   Ethan was grateful for the question because it offered an escape to his complete loss at Vincent's reference to Greek mythology. Sometimes, Ethan thought, that boy was too smart for his own good.

   "Depends. Are you on the menu?" Ethan spoke suggestively, tone dropping an octave as he shifted even closer to the boy.

   "Someone's feeling cheeky tonight,"  Vincent remarked, not protesting as Ethan continued to assault his lips. He allowed the steamy kiss to go on for a while, then pulled away when he felt himself get a little too carried away. "Ethan."

   "Hm?" he replied absentmindedly, continuing to graze his lips against the soft skin of Vincent's jaw. 

   "I need to know if you're staying," he sighed. "Dad will be home soon..."