TWENTY SEVEN

Ethan took a deep breath, rehearsing the plan in his head for the umpteenth time. Behind him, Macey rubbed an encouraging hand across his side. He leaned back into the comfort of her touch, mentally thanking the Gods for the sweet girl. Had she not helped him, he wouldn't have been able to muster the courage to do what he was about to do. 

   He felt for her, as it was painfully obvious to everyone with a pair of working eyes that she was deeply infatuated with his ex-best-friend. Guided by his conscience, he had urged Vincent to finally confront her about what had happened between him and Mason. Reluctantly, he obliged—knowing it was the right thing to do—and had a heart-to-heart with the girl. 

   She took it better than most people would've, but, then again, Macey was always good at hiding her pain. Vincent just had to make sure to keep an eye on her, which included keeping her company whenever he could. 

   When Ethan sought out her help, he was pleasantly surprised by how receptive and approachable she was. Instantly, he regretted not befriending her sooner and made it a goal of his to get closer to the kind girl. 

   "Are you sure this is gonna work?" Ethan stammered, pulling at the sleeves of his sweater.

   Macey rolled her eyes halfheartedly. "Yes! Listen, I know Vincent. He's gonna absolutely love this!"

   Ethan nodded, buying for time as he slowly ambled up the steps. Pausing, he abruptly turned, almost knocking into her and making her drop her things. "Are you sure we shouldn't do it somewhere else? I mean—"

   Macey sighed in exasperation. "Yes, Ethan, I'm sure. Vincent wouldn't want you to do it in public, anyways."

   Ethan nodded once more, exhaling loudly. "Can you knock? I know he likes you better."

   Macey giggled, stepping up next to the fretting boy and moving to ring the bell.  A few seconds later, Ethan's heart leaped to his throat as the door swung open, revealing a disheveled Roger. 

   When he saw Macey, the man offered a tight, sort-of-smile. When his eyes traveled to Ethan, however, any force tugging Roger's lips upward immediately withdrew, leaving him with a frown etched on his features. 

   "Vincent's not home," he addressed Macey.

   Despite his gruffness, she managed her usual, warm smile. "That's okay, Mr. Samuel. We're not here to see him, anyway."

   Roger quirked a thick eyebrow in confusion. "No?"

   Macey shook her head. "Ethan has a little...surprise for Vincent. Mind if we go upstairs and leave it in his room?"

   Roger eyed the pair wearily, feeling slightly skeptical about their motives. However, despite himself, he couldn't help but trust his son's best friend. And though he wasn't too fond of the boyfriend, he had to admit that Ethan didn't seem like a bad person. Reluctantly, he moved out of the doorway and made enough room for them to walk in.  

   When they climbed up the stairs and into Vincent's room, Ethan basked in the familiar scent of his boyfriend that wafted from it, smiling softly to himself. Macey trailed behind him, already fishing out the things from her large backpack. 

   After his phone buzzed for the millionth time that day, Ethan turned to look at her guiltily. "He's been texting and calling all afternoon. We were supposed to hang out later."

   Macey shook her head. "Don't worry about it. I'm sure he won't mind that you were ignoring him once we're done here."

   Ethan chuckled nervously, still unsure. "I sure hope so."