SEVEN

"You got a girlfriend, son?" Mr. Gray asked, cutting into the steak before him.

Steven Gray was an interesting man. He was incredibly tall, taller than anyone else Vincent had seen. He rocked broad shoulders and bulging biceps, the veins in his arms so visible, Vincent was convinced he could see Steven's blood pump through them. He had the same eyes as Ethan, only his hair—still as full and fluffy as a seventeen-year-old's—was a soft brown.

What Vincent hadn't been expecting, though, was the kindness blaring so clearly in his eyes. His lips seemed to always be pulled in a permanent grin, his features welcoming and friendly. His attitude reminded him of Mrs. Gray's, and he quickly saw why the pair got along so well. It was almost sickening the way they gazed at each other like love-sick puppies.

Ethan nearly scoffed. Vincent hadn't said he was completely gay, but, for some reason, Ethan couldn't picture him being with a girl.

"No, sir," Vincent replied, grinning.

"Boyfriend?" Stephanie followed up, pouring herself some water.

Vincent hadn't been expecting the question, but smiled when he heard it. "Not that, either," he said, briefly glancing at Ethan.

Ethan had already been watching him, as his interest piqued at the question. He didn't know why, but relief swelled in his chest when he'd heard Vincent's answer.

"You swing for that team?" Mr. Gray asked, raising an eyebrow.

Nervously, Vincent bit his lip, a gesture that didn't go unnoticed by Ethan. He tried to keep his voice from straining as he uttered the next words, "I swing for all teams, Mr. Gray."

Mr. Gray boomed with laughter, patting Vincent on the back. "Atta boy!"

Vincent chuckled, letting out a breath he didn't realize he'd been holding. Suddenly, Mr. Gray's expression grew serious. Deadly, even.

"The kids at school don't give you any trouble, do they?" he asked sternly, his jaw set, all traces of amusement gone from his eyes.

"No, Mr. Gray. The few homophobes, I can handle them." he spoke.

"Steven, son, Steven," he corrected. "Well, if anybody ever does, you know who to call," he concluded, downing the rest of his drink. Stephanie stared after her husband fondly, while Vincent couldn't help but smile.

"Thank you, Mr-" he shot Vincent a pointed look. "I mean, Steven. Thank you, Steven."

"So, have you started thinking about university?" Stephanie asked, smiling sweetly at Vincent.

"Yeah, a little bit. I—um—I might go to CalArts. I really want to study art and I think it's one of the best schools for that in the country," he said.

Stephanie's eyes widened. "Really? That's impressive. You paint?"

"A little bit," Vincent said, but his voice mingled with Ethan's as he spoke, "He's amazing."

Vincent blushed, rolling his eyes. "I wouldn't say amazing-" he began, but was soon interrupted.

"Well, I would," Ethan asserted. "You should see his work, Mom. It's...beautiful. Just so raw and emotional and..." Ethan caught himself rambling, and quickly shut his mouth. This time, it was his turn to blush. Uncomfortable heat traveled up his body and he found himself tugging at the collar of his shirt.

Stephanie stared between the two, amusement dancing in her doe eyes. A smirk was fighting its way onto her face as she looked at her awestricken son.