CHAPTER FIVE

"I don't know how long this trip we're going on is supposed to be," Keira said as she got into the passenger side of Shane's car and fiddled with her seat belt. "But I need a coffee ASAP. And if you could get me back with a few hours to spare before the festival kicks off that would be great. I need to get in some solid writing hours." She finally got buckled in. "So, where are we going?"

When she received no response from Shane she looked over to see him wearing his characteristic amused expression. She folded her arms. "What?"

He gave her a shrug. "Well, it's hardly the weather for sunglasses, that's all I was thinking."

Keira pushed her sunglasses resolutely against her nose. "There might be early morning glare," she replied, cringing at the haughtiness she heard in her voice. "And anyway, you're hardly one to judge someone else's attire. Did you even use a mirror to dress this morning?"

Shane tipped his head back and laughed with abandon. Keira felt her lips twitch with satisfaction, then checked herself. She'd just allowed herself to take one step closer toward flirting with him, which definitely was not part of the ain't nothing wrong with looking philosophy!

"I thought I would take you somewhere nearby to start off with," Shane told her as he accelerated onto the main street. "So I've chosen the Burren, which is only a twenty-minute drive. It's a national park. You heard of it?"

Keira shook her head. "I can't wait," she said as a mental picture formulated in her mind of a beautiful Irish scene.

She wasn't sure, but she thought she saw Shane smirk. When they pulled up in the parking lot of the Burren twenty minutes later she realized why. There wasn't a blade of grass in sight! The Burren was made of bleak, gray rock.

She turned to Shane, frowning. "Is this a prank? I thought you said it was a national park."

Shane started laughing. "It is! One and a half thousand hectares of protected land, consisting almost entirely of limestone."

Keira let out a sigh of exasperation. "So of all the places you could have taken me to show off the majesty of Ireland, you chose this."

"I picked up on some snooty vibes back at William's place," Shane said, raising a combative eyebrow. "I figured this would be the best place to take you to get you off your high horse. Ireland isn't some fantasy land filled with leprechauns, though there are some parts that play up the stereotypes for the sake of the tourists. But if you dig a little bit beneath the surface we're a country with real heart, real romance. We have a rich and interesting history, if you let yourself give us a chance."

Keira folded her arms. Everything he'd said about her was right, of course, but she wasn't about to admit that. "I'm not snooty," was all she said.

Shane just shrugged. "Come on, this way. The view from the top of the hill is incredible."

Keira followed. "I don't really have the appropriate footwear for a hike," she complained.

"Don't worry, I won't take us on the three-hour mountain trek, although it's breathtaking and a shame to miss out on." He gave her a withering look. "Think you can handle a half hour loop? It'll take us through meadows and some amazing woodland."

"Yes, I think I can I manage thirty minutes," Keira muttered.

"I meant without killing me," Shane laughed.

He seemed to enjoy winding Keira up.

"I feel like we've gotten off to a bad start," Keira said as she tried to keep up with his brisk pace. She wasn't used to hilly walks. "Have I said something to insult you?"