CHAPTER NINE

The drive to Shane's hometown took them further and deeper into the heart of Ireland. Keira felt like she was being transported back in time, or through a wormhole to another universe where the grass was a more vibrant green, the air more oxygen rich.

"This is my town," Shane said, turning off the small road onto an even narrower one.

Keira looked about her, squinting in confusion. "But there's nothing here."

"Sure there is," Shane laughed. He pointed at a post box surrounded by hedges that had been untamed for so many years they seemed to be consuming it. "There's the post office."

Keira laughed. Shane pointed further ahead to a small wooden structure that looked like it might once have been a bus stop but hadn't been used for a decade.

"The local nightclub," he added. "Where teenagers meet to drink and dance and smooch. At least they would if there were currently more than one of them."

Keira couldn't help herself from dissolving into giggles. She found Shane great company and his wittiness was like a breath of fresh air for her, especially compared to Zach's seriousness. Keira checked herself; she really shouldn't be comparing her tour guide to her ex-boyfriend.

"What other sights are there in your bustling town?" she asked.

"Glad you asked," Shane quipped. "We have Doris the donkey in that field over there. She's older than me, believe it or not. A local celebrity. And here on your right is an actual off license."

"So the only shop in your town sells nothing but cigarettes and alcohol?"

"Correct," Shane said.

He slowed the car and Keira saw what he was indicating. They turned from the narrow road onto what Keira could only describe as a dirt path. The car bumped along the uneven surface.

"Um... just double-checking that you're not taking me to the middle of nowhere to murder me," Keira said, feeling a little uneasy for the first time.

Shane just laughed. "Of course not. Not with Doris there as a witnesses!"

Just then, the hedges growing on either side of the path thinned out. Keira saw that the fields on both sides of them were filled with animals and barns, troughs, tractors, and plows.

"Wait," Keira said, frowning. "You don't live on a farm, do you?"

"Yup," Shane replied, sounding excited by his proximity to his home.

Keira found his excitement infectious and became just as eager to see his home and meet his family.

"You weren't expecting a farm?" Shane asked.

"I suppose I should have," Keira laughed, surveying the fields filled with cows, sheep, and pigs. "You just don't give off particularly farmerish vibes."

"No?" he said, chuckling. "Well, you haven't seen me shear a sheep yet."

Keira raised an amused eyebrow. "And I can't wait to!"

They passed a row of barns and silos and then drew up in front of a large stone farmhouse. It looked to be several hundred years old, slightly wonky, the windows bowed with age. The stone was the same type she saw everywhere, dark gray, making the house appear to be at one with the surrounding landscape.

As Shane slowed the car to a halt, several young women burst out of the front door and began jumping up and down, waving, cheering, and clapping.

"Um...?" Keira began, feeling rather confused at the welcome committee. "You have a fan club?"