CHAPTER EIGHT

Keira was ready and waiting outside Orin's B&B bright and early the next morning. The last thing her broken heart needed was an Irish-style breakfast, so she'd made certain that there was no time for one, waking up with just enough time to shower and dress.

She stood on the street corner, her arms wrapped around her middle, feeling wounded by Zach's betrayal. She wasn't sure how she was going to get through today; all she wanted to do was curl up in bed and sleep. But when she saw Shane's car approaching, she felt a sudden sense of relief, as though her loneliness was melting away.

He pulled to a halt, mounting the curb beside the B&B, and Keira got in the passenger side.

"Morning," Shane said, stiffly.

Keira looked over at him, at his drawn expression, and suddenly remembered what he had told her yesterday about how he was going to pay his respects to someone, about how she wasn't the person he wanted to talk about it to. Her instinct was to ask him how he was, check in to see whether he needed anything, but the breakup had knocked her confidence, and Shane's rejection of her support yesterday stung more as a result. So instead of attempting to connect with him, she just stared absentmindedly out the window.

"Morning."

Shane pulled away from the curb and they began the drive. Keira wallowed in her misery, watching the dreary greens and grays that passed by through the window.

She wasn't sure how much time had passed before Shane finally spoke.

"You're quiet," he said.

"So are you," she replied, her gaze still fixed out the window.

"I suppose I am."

They fell into silence again. Keira hated it, the way their free and easy banter had been replaced by a huge, swelling nothingness.

"I spent the evening at a graveside," Shane replied by way of explanation. "What about you?"

"I'm just tired."

"There's something else."

She looked over at him at last. "It's none of your business," she said, echoing his sentiments from yesterday.

She didn't mean to be snappy, but talking about the breakup was the last thing she wanted to do right now. What she really wanted was a long chat with Bryn or her mom. Usually they'd be the first people she turned to when seeking comfort, but Bryn had been jogging when she called, and said she didn't have any time to chat, so she hadn't even had the chance to tell her about Zach. And with her mom there was a high likelihood that she'd use it as an I told you so moment. Keira hadn't been in the mood for that. Now speaking to anyone back in New York City was impossible because it was the middle of the night there. Keira hadn't felt so lonely since coming to Ireland as she did now. She could've done with offloading to Shane, but clearly neither of them was in the right place for that right now.

She turned her attention back to the view through the window and could feel Shane's eyes watching her. He didn't press it, though, and they fell back into their uneasy silence.

Unlike the other two trips, this one was much longer, and it gave Keira ample time to dwell in her misery. She decided that Shane was either respecting her lack of a desire to communicate or was too angry with her to want to try. Though his usual banter was conspicuously absent, he did keep looking over at her with a look of anguish.

Finally he spoke.

"Keira, are you annoyed with me for leaving you to attend the festival alone?" he asked.