CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Keira awoke the next morning in a tangle of limbs. Shane was holding her close to him, cocooning her. It was cozy and comfortable.

Keira smiled to herself as she replayed their passionate lovemaking last night in her mind. It had been the most mind-blowing encounter of her life. Sex with Zach had been nice at first, then routine. She hadn't even realized how much the fire between them had fizzled until she'd been ignited by the power of Shane!

As she looked at his gorgeous sleeping form, she couldn't help but wonder about the future. Her trip wasn't going to last forever. Did that mean this amazing thing she'd found with Shane would end as well? It was unrealistic to think they'd continue dating once she returned to New York City. The flights would cost more than either of their salaries permitted, and could a relationship really exist without even occasional physical contact? The thought that there was a time limit to their lovemaking filled her with dread.

She moved then, and Shane stirred, opening one eye a sliver.

"Morning," he said, sleepily, smiling radiantly at the sight of her. He tightened his arms around her waist. "And where do you think you're going?"

Keira smiled in response. "I was going to make a pot of coffee."

Shane nodded and released her. "That's allowed."

Keira laughed and got out of bed, finding her legs wobbly somewhat beneath her. She went over to the counter where there was a kettle and a jar of instant coffee granules. It was hardly luxurious, but Keira couldn't care less. Today she was floating.

Keira made the coffee and returned to bed.

"So," Shane began, taking his mug from her hands. "Now that you know I'm not a player, does that mean we're a couple?"

Keira's eyes widened. She hadn't expected Shane to cut so quickly to the chase. But the idea didn't scare her. If anything, it thrilled her. And even though she could already imagine Bryn's reaction—telling her this was nothing more than a rebound from Zach—she didn't care. If this was how great rebounds felt then she ought to have them more often!

She tilted her head to the side and peered at Shane. "Sure."

Shane laughed. "Sure? Is that all I get?"

Keira batted her eyelids. "What would you prefer? 'Oh yes, yes, please say I can be your beloved!'"

"That's much better," Shane joked. "And yes, you may."

Keira smirked with amusement. "So what's the plan today? Where are you guiding me to?"

Shane pulled a face. "I kinda feel like it would be weird for me to act like your tour guide now. Don't you?"

"Well, my company is paying you..." Keira quipped.

"I'm pretty sure they're paying you too," Shane replied with a wry smile. "And that doesn't seem to make you do any work."

"Touché!" Keira replied.

They laughed together. Keira felt buoyant. Even the daylight filtering in through the thin curtains seemed brighter today. Not even the ever-present layer of gray clouds in the sky could bring down Keira's mood.

"Why don't we decide where we should go together, in that case," she said to Shane.

"You mean like a date? An actual date? With an activity?"

Keira nodded her head. "How about a gallery?"

"Sure. There's a ton of artists in Ireland, you know. The Limerick City Gallery of Art is closest to us. It's about an hour drive. You up for it?"