CHAPTER TWELVE

There was no denying it anymore. Keira had fallen for Shane, hook, line, and sinker. Back in her room at the B&B that night, she could still feel his lips against hers. The memory of their kiss lingered on her skin, tingled in her mind. All her concerns about Shane being a player seemed to disappear entirely. What did Bryn know? She hadn't been there, she hadn't felt what Keira had felt. The emotion in that kiss was mind-blowing.

Keira felt like she was walking on air as she got herself ready for the night's festivities. She dried her hair and styled it curlier than usual. She painted her lips red, rimmed her eyes with kohl, and slicked mascara onto her lashes. It was more effort than she'd put into her appearance since she'd gotten here, and she realized with surprise that she was dressing up for Shane. She wanted to impress him, dazzle him with her beauty. She wanted to throw herself into this thing, whatever it was, and see where it led her.

She spritzed herself with perfume and skipped out of her room. When Orin saw her emerge into the pub his eyes widened.

"Have you got a date?" he asked.

Keira shrugged coyly. "Might have." She giggled.

Just then Shane came into the pub. Keira felt her whole body erupt with tingling, like electricity was flowing through her veins.

Shane walked right up to her confidently, slid his arm around her waist and pulled her close to him. He planted a deep, sumptuous kiss onto her lips. Keira felt herself melt into him, the whole world disappearing around her as her entire focus was narrowed down to the sensation of Shane's lips.

When they pulled apart Orin looked surprised. His cheeks were a little pink. But he didn't say anything, instead busying himself with pouring pints, trying to make it look as if he hadn't seen a thing.

"You look gorgeous," Shane whispered into Keira's ear, his breath tickling her skin.

"So do you," she replied with a sultry voice.

Shane kept his arm around her waist, protectively holding her close to him. Then he led her through the pub, opened the door at the end for her, and gestured her through. Keira thoroughly enjoyed the courteous gentleman routine. She loved a bit of flirty chivalry.

Out on the street, the party was already in full flow. Noisy crowds of drunken revelers wobbled past them, singing loudly, arms tangled around each other's shoulders. But Keira could hardly see them. She was completely absorbed in her own world, a world that contained nothing more than Shane and his burning gaze that made her feel naked.

They went to one of the stalls and Shane bought bottle of wine. He poured two glasses and handed one to Keira.

"I thought Irish lads didn't drink wine," Keira teased.

"Irish lads will drink anything if it will impress a beautiful lady," Shane replied.

Keira's heart fluttered at the compliment. They settled down at a table and shuffled closer, heads bowed together.

Just then, Keira became aware that the vacant seat next to Shane had become occupied. She silently chastised the inconsiderate person who'd sat right next to a couple so clearly in the throes of lust. They must be so drunk they didn't even realize they were intruding.

But then the person in the seat said something that made Keira straighten up with surprise.

"Shane?"

It was a woman's voice. Keira looked up at its owner, taking in the sight of her thick wavy blond hair, her tanned face covered in freckles, the clumpy mascara on her eyelashes. Shane glanced over his shoulder. Keira noted the way his body tensed as he identified the woman in his mind.