CHAPTER SIX

Keira woke to a pounding headache and an overwhelming sense of embarrassment. She sat up and touched her head, wincing at the stream of daylight coming through the curtains. There was no way she'd get through this month if she continued to repeat this excessive drinking cycle.

Suddenly remembering the snarky text she'd sent to Zachary, Keira grabbed her phone, expecting to see an equally snappy reply. But there was none, which was even worse somehow. It was like Zach had cut her off entirely, like he'd broken it off with her without saying the actual words. Keira couldn't help but reassess her relationship, wondering if there was a relationship left at all.

Keira realized then that she'd somehow overslept and that Shane would be arriving any minute. A sense of panic swept through her as patches of memory resurfaced in her mind of her inebriated state last night, of her jealousy toward Tessa. Had she said something to Shane about it? Something that may have betrayed her attraction toward him? Her memories were too sporadic for her to rely on them.

Leaping out of bed, flustered, Keira grabbed her towel before realizing she didn't even have enough time to shower. She'd have to get through the entire day feeling grubby as well as hungover.

She dressed quickly, lancing pain shooting through her head with every hurried movement, then rushed downstairs.

"Morning," Orin said brightly from behind the bar as she emerged into the pub at the bottom of the staircase. "What can I get you for breakfast?"

"I'm so sorry, I'm in a rush," Keira said, yanking on her jacket. "I'll have to miss it."

The door opened then, and Shane came in. He was smiling contentedly and Keira wondered whether he and Tessa had enjoyed more than just a dance after he'd dropped her back at the B&B.

"Make sure you take this young lady out for breakfast," Orin told Shane. "She's missing the most important meal of the day."

"Honestly, I'm fine," Keira said. The thought of food was making her feel queasy. "I had a huge dinner last night."

Orin tutted and shook his head.

"We've got time," Shane said with a cheeky grin, grabbing a bar stool and sitting down.

It was as if he could tell that Keira's motivation for refusing breakfast was because of her hangover. He certainly liked putting her in awkward situations.

"I thought we had another day trip," Keira said through her teeth.

"We do, but it's just up the road," Shane replied. "It won't mess up our itinerary if we set off half an hour after schedule."

Keira had no arguments left, so she pulled up a bar stool and sat beside Shane.

"Excellent," Orin said, clapping. "What can I get you both? Eggs? Toast? Sausage? Bacon? Hash browns?"

"Toast, thanks," Keira said, selecting the plainest thing on offer that she might just be able to stomach.

Shane leaned into her. "He means all of the above," he explained. "It's called a fry-up. It's a great hangover cure."

Keira threw her arms up. She felt like there was no point arguing with these two. Between them they would make her obese by the end of the month. "Fine."

Orin disappeared into the kitchen to cook the fry-ups.

"Why aren't you hungover?" Keira asked Shane, leaning her elbow on the bar and propping her heavy head up on her hand. It came out like an accusation.

"Irish men don't get hangovers," Shane replied. When Keira gave him a look, he burst out laughing. "Isn't that what you're going to write in your piece? That we're all stereotypes with beer bellies?"