Chapter 6

Ronno sighed as he slowly walked back to the thicket where Gwen was. A stolid expression was held firmly on his face. He refused to show any weakness, emotion or sadness. He was supposed to be like his father: fearless and bold. "You're such a weakling, Ronno." He bitterly thought to himself as he used his antlers to pick the underbrush up, so that he could pass through. He sighed as he dropped the act, making sure Gwen was farther ahead, so that she wouldn't see the bitter tears that he had allowed to escape his dam. He was odious, angry, envious, hateful. 'If they only knew who I was..then maybe, just maybe, they would understand..' Ronno sighed as the tears cheerfully raced down the sides of his face. He watched as they dropped to the dirt ground. One. Two. Three. They all fell in the exact same spot. "Ronno...?" He heard a familiar distant voice call his name. He jumped to his hooves and quickly shook the tears away, watching them lightly discolor the tan earth beneath him. He coughed a bit, clearing his throat, so that it wouldn't sound like he had been sad. He took in a deep breath, held it in for a couple of seconds, then exhaled slowly. During those seconds, the world had seemingly turned itself off. All he could hear was his metronome of a heartbeat. It was peaceful. Ronno started to walk towards the voice that called his name again. "Reminds me of when mother did that, back when I first met Bambi and Faline..." His father was never in the picture. His father even blatantly said that he wanted nothing to do with Ronno. One of the reasons why Ronno was so fond of Bambi, he actually had a dad who was in his life. Bambi actually had a male figure to look up too, where as Ronno didn't. Sure, his mother was there for him, but even his odious attitude eventually drove her away. Mena, was her name. Mena was also the foster mother for Bambi, when The Great Prince tried to get rid of him. At least, his real mother was named Mena. Amy was just a doe who took pity on Ronno. She was never his true care-taker, his true guardian, his true mother. Ronno decided to take the longer way. He stepped over some twigs and rocks, eventually stopping at a nearby pond. Ronno peered over into the water, seeing his own reflection. He saw that his antlers had grown, and he wasn't that small stag anymore, his body had matured more, and he looked as if he were two years old. Ronno blinked a bit as he saw the stag looking back at him with the same dull eyes, the same dark oak color fur. Ronno shook his head lightly, turning away from the reflection. "You're nothing..." He whispered to himself. "Ronno...?" The voice called out again, this time a hint of worry was behind the voice. "Gwen." Ronno quietly said, sighing as he walked towards the female voice. He looked around as he walked throughout the forest. What Ronno really wanted, was a family. Something he could devote his time too. Something he could teach and watch grow up, be a father to the young deer. Not like his own horrid and distant father, but one like The Great Prince. "Daddy? Why is the grass green..?" A small, high pitched voice asked him. Ronno smiled at her and softly whispered, "That's how nature made it. It's also so you can hide in it, thanks to your spots." He lightly poked the young fawn's lightly colors spots with his hoof. "Daddy, if you were my age, would we be best friends?" Ronno smiled, chuckling softly to himself, "Hmm...let's see.." He playfully hesitated, then looked back at the fawn, "Of course we would." Ronno smiled at the envision of the fawn and him. He wanted it desperately, but was too prideful to ask his mate. He stopped and looked around, "Well. I'm going to swallow that pride. I will ask if Gwen would do the honor of bearing my child." He said in a proud, bold voice. He smiled brightly as he raced back towards the thicket. He had ignored all thorns, allowing them to lightly cut him as he met up with Gwen, panting loudly. "G..wh-en.." He allowed himself to catch his breath, before asking her. "Gwen. Will you...will you do the honors of starting a family with me?" Gwen's expression was shocked, "What?" She asked, surprised by the sudden question. "Please, Gwen. There is nothing I want more than to start a family, with you, my beautiful doe." Ronno's eyes were full of hope and plead. Gwen sighed softly and smiled at him, "I would love too, Ronno." She leaned in and lightly licked his ear, "But..are you sure we're ready for a fawn?" Doubt was sinking into her mind. "We are definitely ready, my love." Ronno gave her a comforting smile as they walked towards their bedding; which was further back into the thicket. "I'm so glad I got to meet you." He whispered as he watched her lay down. He smiled and gently licked her cheek, growing closer to her as he playfully bit her ear. "I love you. I love you, Gwen. And I'll always love you." He whispered softly in her ear.