Unrequited Love

Alex's POV

Finally. He was in the room I'd made just for him. It felt as if I were finally getting the gift I'd been lusting after for years. He was still asleep, his breathing slow. I sat still on the bed close to him, patiently waiting for him to open those beautiful brown eyes of his. He stirred. My breath caught in my throat. He sat up and rubbed at his tired eyes in the most adorable way. I reached out to touch him, but retracted my hand from the breathtaking creature in front of me.

He opened his eyes and his eyes landed on me. He jumped back, startled. Fear filled his irises, making me feel terrible for being the cause of that fear.

"Am I dead?" He asked me. There he went again, asking about death.

"No." I replied almost flatly. He blinked a few times and glanced around the room.

"Then what am I?"

"You're Jack." He sighed, a light annoyance on his face.

"I know that, but, who are you and where am I? And why's it so hot?" Jack was starting to get flustered, and when he did, he spoke quickly and hurriedly. I held up a hand, stopping him.

"Shh, take deep breaths, love. My name is Alex, and you're in the Underworld." I explained briefly. His eyes widened, fear filling his eyes again.

"Why? I haven't done anything wrong, have I?"

"No, but this is your home now, love."

"Stop calling me love, you fucking weirdo." He scooted away from me. I scooted closer to him. Why was he being hostile towards me? I'd seen how he acted towards others of his kind. He was always friendly and all smiles. Why was I being treated any different?

"Okay, what do you want me to call you then?"

"Nothing, take me fucking home."

"No can do. I've waited too long to have you here." I grinned at him and caressed his cheek. He slapped my hand away from him.

"Please, just take me home." Jack pleaded, the edge in his voice dissolving. I shook my head and took his hand in mine. He tried to pull his hand away from mine, but I just tightened my hold on his hand.

"Sweetheart, why do you want to go back? You said it yourself, everyone hates you there. I don't hate you. You miss your dad, he's here. I got you a guitar that never goes out of tune. All the pizza and tacos you can eat is here." I kissed his hand sweetly. "So tell me, why?"

"It's my home. My family's there."

"And?"

"I love them." He retorted back weakly. I raised an eyebrow at him and let his hand go. He began fidgeting nervously.

"Do you say that because you do, or because you were told that you do?" I pressed. His face flushed a bright red and he shrugged. Neither of us said anything for a few minutes. I watched him sit so still, biting at his bottom lip. I wanted to know what it'd be like to kiss those lips of his. He opened his mouth to speak.

"You're the voice in my head." He muttered under his breath.

"I wasn't lying when I told you that I'm real." I reminded him. He looked up at me, those burned gold eyes of his meeting mine.

"Why me?"

"Love, let's not speak of why. Tell me all about you. I want to know you." I didn't want to talk about why I chose Jack exactly. That would mean diving into the details of his father's death. He frowned at me, the simple action pulling his usually blank features down.

"No, you tell me about you. You brought me here for a reason, explain yourself." He argued back, crossing his arms over his chest. I sighed, a grin splitting my face.

"You're an tempting, little, angel, Jack. Are you hungry? I can get you something." I touched his sweet face and he pulled away.

"I'm not hungry. Tell me about yourself." He pressed. I sighed again.

"I won't tell you why I chose you, but I can tell you other things." I said to him, which made him raise an dark eyebrow at me. "As I told you we're in the Underworld, which, I think you call it Hell? Yes, that. I'm immortal and am somewhat of a solider for Hades. I keep people in line while they're down here. I make sure no one escapes, that no one tries to see Hades and that everyone is suffering."

"Okay, so how old are you then?"

"I don't keep track of my age. It's pointless."

"Well, I'm seventeen."

"I know. I've been watching you for a few years now." I admitted, not thinking that it might freak him out. He looked at me oddly.

"That's weird." He shrugged. "What do you like to do for fun?"

"I used to watch you play guitar for fun." I grinned at him. "That one song about how girls are a lame? A drag, something like that. That one's my favorite."

"Dysentery Gary? That's a blink song. You want me to play it?" He asked me. I nodded eagerly. I'd always wanted to have Jack play guitar just for me. "Can you bring me a guitar and a pick?" I left the room to go get the guitar from the living room corner. I was searching for a pick when I heard glass break. I forgot about the pick and went back into the bedroom to find Jack halfway out of the window. I leaned the guitar on the bed and grabbed Jack, pulling him back inside.

"What were you doing?" I asked him, concerned, since outside the house was too hot for Jack's sensitive skin.

"I was trying to fucking leave." He spat. Why was he trying to leave? I thought we were getting along. He was going to play that song for me.

"But you can't leave. I brought you here for a reason." I told him, a bit sadly. I wanted him there so much, but he seemed to hate it.

"Which you won't tell me. Alex, let me go home." He frowned and took a deep breath. "I have to go to school, I have to wash the dishes, I have to celebrate my mom's birthday. You can't keep me here."

"No, I have to. Jack, I've been wishing to have you here for so long. Just give it time, you'll love it here. I made sure that you would." I dusted some broken glass off of Jack.

"You don't get it do you? I don't want to be here!" He started screaming at me. I cowered a little. Yes, I was far more powerful than him, but I didn't want to hurt him. He was my love, I wouldn't dare hurt him. I picked him up, slinging him over my shoulder and carried him into the hallway closet. I put him in there and shut the door. "Alex! Let me the fuck out! I hate you! I fucking hate you! Let me out!" He continued screaming at the top of his lungs such hurtful things at me.

"Not until you calm down. I can't have you trying to run off again." I left the house, going to attend to my job, as I got an alert of an attempted-escapee.