Final Decision

Alex's POV

I waited until I was sure beyond a doubt that Jack was asleep before I left. He really hadn't taken the news very well. Honestly, though, I had assumed he'd be overjoyed at the thought of leaving. But, surprisingly, he actually wanted to stay. Knowing, or at least hoping, that he was starting to fall for me almost brought me to tears.
If there was a possibility of us ever being in love, then he couldn't leave. Who cares what Matt, Zeus or Hades has to say about it. If Matt killed me, he'd probably wind up throwing me with the damned-for-the-rest-of-time souls. But, knowing Jack, he'd get himself there too. Regardless, we'd be together, but for now, I needed to try to find something to keep Jack here, even if it was for just another day.
Zach was smart. He kept his entire study full of ancient books, all written in Latin or Greek. Zach was in his study when I got there. A book was in front of us face and the room alight with chandeliers of bright candles. The air smelled of old books ad lavender.
"Hello, Alex." Zach spoke, slowly closing his book. I went and sat in the chair across from him. "I heard you had a meeting with Matt."
"I did. Speaking of that..he gave me an ultimatum." I replied sadly. Zach sighed.
"Dammit, Alex. I warned you. Why don't you ever listen to me?" Zach asked irritably. I shrugged. "Let me guess; you need my help?" I nodded. Zach knew me better than I knew myself sometimes. He was never judgmental and always went out of his way to help me.
"My choice is to either take Jack home or Matt will kill me, and do it himself." I explained to him softly. Zach shook his head. "But I really think Jack is gonna love me. Please, Zach, you have to help me keep him." Somewhere in his huge study he had to have something that could keep Jack with me.
"But, how can we keep him here, Alex? Matt will find out. I honestly don't know if I can help you this time."
"You have to try. C'mon, I love him, and I'd do anything for him."
"I get that, but, what if he never does love you back?"
"He will, he has to."
"Fine." With a sigh, he stood and went over to a tall and expansive shelf of books. "Since you seem so serious this time." Slowly, he began to comb through books, leafing through pages. I wasn't much help in actually assisting him. If asked to do anything, I did.
Hours upon hours later, and we still had nothing. It'd been so long, I feared Jack waking up alone. I knew he hated being alone in our home. Zach was searching though a rule-book about how to treat souls.
"Is Jack alive or did you take his soul?" He asked me after a while. It'd been so long that I'd had to replace some of the candles in the room
"He's alive." I replied turning a page in a book about Hades and his history. Who knew Hades was so interesting? Perhaps I was biased, due to the simple fact he was the ruler of the Underworld. "Hm? I didn't know Persephone was taken alive by Hades. I assumed she was born here."
"Wait, what did you just say?" He asked looking up at m. I raised an eyebrow at him.
"I thought Persephone was born here." I repeated, looking at him, lost.
"No,the thing before that."
"Oh, that Hades took Persephone alive?"
"That. Yeah, that. So Persephone's alive?"
"Yeah, she's a demigod, Zach."
"I fucking know that. How did Hades keep her here though?"
"Are you saying that me and Jack's love is like Hades and Persephone's?"
"No, just answer me." I flipped through some pages, skimming the passages. It was hard to understand, since it was in Greek, and Greek was my third language. "C'mon, Alex."
"I'm looking." I said to him. "..Found it. He gave her a pomegranate, and then she was tainted or whatever, so she stays in the Underworld during the fall and winter while she goes to the surface for the rest of the year." I told him, then it hit me. Half of the year was better than nothing. "Holy fuck, Zach! That's it!"
"Yeah, so you need a pomegranate. Those are on the surface, right?"
"Yeah, but, I'm not allowed to go to the surface anymore."
"So I need to get it for you?" I nodded. "Be glad you're my best friend. Otherwise, I would've let that ogre eat you centuries ago."
"You'd miss me too much and you know it."
"Sadly, you're right. I'll get you a pomegranate and bring it by your house."
"Thank you, Zach, I owe you." We hugged briefly and he left to the surface. With a content sigh, I left to my home.