Feeling Pathetic

Alex's POV

Jack finally opened his eyes after what seemed like forever. He tossed and turned a lot when he was asleep, but once he wrapped his arms around me, he didn't move a muscle. When he opened his eyes, he pushed himself away from me. I had been so tense, scared he'd start yelling at me or would distance himself from me. Jack rubbed at his eyes and threw the covers off of himself. Without a word to me, he got up and went into the bathroom. I frowned to myself. Perhaps I was kidding myself thinking that Jack could ever love me. For the love of Hades, he was a mortal and I wasn't. And he was such a pure soul and I didn't even posses a soul.

I did agree that Jack probably should go home, but I didn't want him to. I was like a selfish child, I wanted him and didn't care what was best for him. I loved him, and I wasn't going to just let him go, not after I'd spent all this time waiting to have him there. Besides, he didn't even seem that pissed off about it anymore. He was a lot more calmer, and he hadn't been yelling at me. Jack came out of the bathroom and yawned.

"Good morning." I said to him. I had no idea what the phrase meant, I just knew that Jack and his family had said it to each other very often after sleeping.

"Good morning." He repeated back to me. "So, what's for breakfast?"

"Breakfast?" I didn't quite know what that was either. Jack giggled a little. Oh, the sound was like a trill played in a symphony.

"Yeah, the most important meal of the day." He tugged at my hands, pulling me out of bed. I let him tug me into the small kitchen. "Cook for me." He demanded playfully.

"I don't actually know how to cook. I don't eat." I admitted to him, my face flushing.

"Then why do you have a kitchen?" He asked me curiously. I had really wanted him to feel at home, so I had rooms I didn't even need or use. The kitchen was one of them.

"For you, honestly." I replied, hoping my voice didn't give any hint to the fear of him pushing me away again.

"Well, you at least have to know how to make pancakes." He walked past me and began searching through cabinets and the pantry for things.

"I'm sorry I can't cook."

"No need to apologize, I suck at cooking. Maybe you could find a cookbook, and we can learn something together." He flashed me a small grin. But like most of his smiles, it didn't quite reach his eyes. One day, I hoped that he'd tell me all what bothered him.

"Okay." I said as he handed me a bowl. He poured some white powder into it along with some water and other things.

"Stir that, do you have any butter?"

"I don't know what that is."

"Yellow, in a rectangle kinda shape?"

"Uh, I think so." And it continued on like that, Jack telling me what to do, and I watched as he'd flip over the pancakes into the pan. He tried to teach me how to flip a pancake, but I just kept flipping them onto the floor.

"It's okay, Alex. We can try again another day." Jack assured me after I'd flipped a fifth pancake onto the floor. "But we should clean up this mess."

"No, no. I'll clean you go eat. I got it." I told him. He froze in place, his eyes glistening with unshed tears. "Jack?" He shook his head and wiped at his eyes with the back of his hand.

"Nothing. I'm fine." He lied and sat down at the small dining room table. I cleaned up the mess of powder and pancakes on the floor and counters. Had I done something to make Jack react like that? Cautiously, I went into the dining room.