Prologue

Mood: Walking in the Wind by One Direction

As a nanny your responsibility is to take care of the child as if it were your own. Kyle was the first child I took care of as a professional stay at home nanny.

I was his nanny for a long time. He was only 4 when I started to take care of him. I used to take him to central park to go on strolls, spot clouds, and play on the swing set. He loved it when we had picnics there. He liked it when I made grilled cheese sandwiches it was all he asked for. We used to get along so well, he was like the child I always wished for.

There's always a downside to being a nanny though, they grow up, they move away, and they don't need you. When Kyle turned 8 his father got a job opportunity in California, far away from New York far away from me.

I remember how they sat me down after I put him to bed and told me the news. At first I thought they wanted me to go with them. But they did me worse, they told me that he was getting old enough to be on his own and that they didn't need me anymore.

It crushed me, it was like my own child was being taken away from me. But I'm just the nanny it's what I sighed up for and frankly they had a point. He needed to grow up.

The week they were moving away and the day I was to leave, Kyle came to me hands behind his back as I packed the last of my things away. I remember it like it was yesterday.

"You aren't coming to California with us are you?"

I kneeled down to his size, holding his face, "No, I'm not, but you're a big boy, right? You brush your teeth all by yourself now, you can brush your hair, you can get dressed, you don't need me."

Tears in his eyes, he looked down, "But that doesn't mean I want you to go."

I hugged him tightly and I can almost feel now the way he hugged me back. When he let go and took out a folded paper from his back pocket.

"I was supposed to give this to you on our 'nanniversary' but I want you to have it now."

I took the wrapped paper from his hands and there was a letter and a small charm.

Dear Faye, you are the most awesome nanny ever.
You have been my best friend forever.
Happy Nanniversary.

The charm was small and Green, my favorite color.

"I used all my money in my piggy bank to buy it for you."

I hugged him one last time tears in my own eyes, I could here my taxi honking outside so I looked Kyle in his eyes, holding is small face in my hands for the last time, "You're gonna grow up to do amazing things Kyle. Don't cry, this isn't goodbye. Go live your life and be happy, can you do that for me?"

Wiping his tears with my thumbs he lets his head rest in my palms holding my hand, "OK."

The taxi starts honking outside again forcing my hands from his face. I head down the stairs and outside with my bags in hand. I put my bags into the trunk of the taxi and get in.

I look back at the house for the last time seeing Kyle standing at the door with both of his parents. I wave at them and they wave back as the taxi slowly drives off. I look back just to see him wave and as the taxi driver drove Kyle became further.

That was last time I saw Kyle. I haven't seen him since. I can only hope he's doing well. Its been a year now and I have yet to accept another nanny offer. It truly did break my heart to see him go.

"So are you gonna look for work or what?"

I look over to Max who sat on the couch, leg propped on the ottoman, "Penny offered me a few but I'm not sure I want to take them."

"You and that nanny job."

"I'm gonna ignore you said that."

"And I'm gonna ignore your attitude."

I sigh biting at my nails, "what irony."